Error when running "get-wmiobject"

• When running the following I get the error below:

get-wmiobject -ComputerName XXXXX -query "select * from Win32_Service where Name='serviceName1'"

Get-WmiObject : Critical error

At line:1 char:14

+ get-wmiobject <<<< -ComputerName XXXXX -query "select * from Win32_Service where Name='serviceName1'"

I can ping the computer in question, so I don't know what is wrong. Is there a way to find out? The message is very vague.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• The only thing I can suggest is remote into that system and verify that you can access WMI. I have seen things like this when WMI was not working on the server.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams (1/7/2009)

The only thing I can suggest is remote into that system and verify that you can access WMI. I have seen things like this when WMI was not working on the server.

I connected locally on that server and ran the following vb script. It executed fine:

msgbox("before")

sComputerName = "XXXXXX"

Set objWMIService = GetObject ("winmgmts:" _

& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _

& sComputerName & "\root\cimv2")

msgbox("after")

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• Can you try the following and see what happens?

$computer = 'name of computer';

Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $computer Win32_Service | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'MSSQL$*'} | Select Name, StartMode, State, Status;

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Jeffrey Williams (1/8/2009)

Can you try the following and see what happens?

$computer = 'name of computer';

Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $computer Win32_Service | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'MSSQL$*'} | Select Name, StartMode, State, Status;

That ran fine.

I think the reason for the error is that I was missing the single quotes around the computer name.

This one runs fine:

get-wmiobject -ComputerName 'myComputerName' -query "select * from Win32_Service where Name='myServiceName'"

• Interesting - you probably have a character in the computer name that is causing a problem.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Interesting - you probably have a character in the computer name that is causing a problem.

Actually, there was nothing wrong with the original code. Even taking the quotes out, it now works. I just ran the exact same line of code as yesterday, and I get no error. There are only alphanumeric characters in the name.

It must be something flaky with our network....

I wish there was a way to trap the specific error powershell/WMI is throwing...

• You can trap for the errors and display the error messages. Example:

Trap [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException] {

Write-Output $("Exception: $($_.Exception.Message)");

Write-Output $("Base Exception: $($_.Exception.GetBaseException().Message)");

return;

}

In the above, I am trapping for a specific error - but, you can trap at a more generic level as needed.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

You can trap for the errors and display the error messages. Example:

Trap [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException] {

Write-Output $("Exception: $($_.Exception.Message)");

Write-Output $("Base Exception: $($_.Exception.GetBaseException().Message)");

return;

}

In the above, I am trapping for a specific error - but, you can trap at a more generic level as needed.

Great info, thank you!

I've been meaning to beef up my scripts with more error handling capabilities.

• Just wait till v2 - which includes full Try/Catch functionality.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Just wait till v2 - which includes full Try/Catch functionality.

That's cool.

What tool do you use to work with powershell scripts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply