Error Trying to Change SQL user login

• MSSQLserver 2008

I have disabled the sa account and I have a new SQL admin user account set up with a password which I have been using for the past 3 months.

However, yesterday when I went to change the password on my SQL admin user account, I get a strange error:

Create Failed For Login (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Additional Information:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ((Mcrosoft.SqlServer.COnnectionInfo)

An object or column name is missing or empty...Change the alias to a valid name (Microsoft SQL Server Error: 1038).

Has anyone seen this error before? Can anyone tell how to fix it so I can change the password?

Thanks

• in SQL SErver Management Studio you are using...do help...About..

coul,d you be using 2005 SSMS when connecting to that 2008 instance?

i've seen issues where differences between GUI(and the code generated by it behind the scenes) and server raise unusual errors like that.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the reply. No I'm not using SMMS 2005. It's all SQLServer 2008. WHy would a simple query to change a login password generate this error. Do you know what specific system table(s) I can open and look at to see if there is any corruption or data missing?

Thanks

• phil 80558 (10/13/2011)

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not using SMMS 2005. It's all SQLServer 2008. WHy would a simple query to change a login password generate this error. Do you know what specific system table(s) I can open and look at to see if there is any corruption or data missing?

Thanks

no, i'd have to do the same as you to diagnose the issue's details:

fire up SQL profiler.

try to make the same change again.

review the issue.

the fast work around is that instead of clicking save or whatever, to click the script button, and run the script yourself, instead of the interpreted SMO version that you cannot see.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks. I'll follow your suggestion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply