Error restoring 2016 onto 2017

• Setup:
    SourceBox = SQL 2016, 10 databases, all use TDE, all compat mode 130.  Backups done using Ola scripts, each written to 4 files, using compression.
    TargetBox = SQL 2017, used for testing backups and then DBCC checks.  Has proper TDE in place, is a higher version than source.
    Backups sent to a network share both servers can access.

Problem:
    9 of the 10 databases will restore just fine, 10th one fails 

RESTORE DATABASE =  "...is incorrectly formed and can not be read.  Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1"
    RESTORE HEADERONLY = backup name is "*** Incomplete ***" and rest of line is nulls
    RESTORE FILELISTONLY = works no problem

However, if I go to another 2016 server, I can restore just fine, so the backup is not corrupt, which is what all the other forums keep telling me.
    There are not any different properties on this database than any of the others.
    There is nothing different in the way the backups are taken for this one from the others.
    Restarting and rebooting have had no effect.

Question:
    Why would only this one database have a problem?  If it were something in the way the backup was taken, wouldn't it have the same problem with the other 9?
    We use the same process on 1000s of databases in our organization, and this is the only one that will not restore to a higher version of SQL, yet does so consistently.

• Not having had the opportunity to work with TDE I would suggest validating the configuration for the database on the 2017 server.  Other than that, no idea.

• uk00121 - Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:30 AM

Setup:
    SourceBox = SQL 2016, 10 databases, all use TDE, all compat mode 130.  Backups done using Ola scripts, each written to 4 files, using compression.
    TargetBox = SQL 2017, used for testing backups and then DBCC checks.  Has proper TDE in place, is a higher version than source.
    Backups sent to a network share both servers can access.

Problem:
    9 of the 10 databases will restore just fine, 10th one fails 

RESTORE DATABASE =  "...is incorrectly formed and can not be read.  Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1"
    RESTORE HEADERONLY = backup name is "*** Incomplete ***" and rest of line is nulls
    RESTORE FILELISTONLY = works no problem

However, if I go to another 2016 server, I can restore just fine, so the backup is not corrupt, which is what all the other forums keep telling me.
    There are not any different properties on this database than any of the others.
    There is nothing different in the way the backups are taken for this one from the others.
    Restarting and rebooting have had no effect.

Question:
    Why would only this one database have a problem?  If it were something in the way the backup was taken, wouldn't it have the same problem with the other 9?
    We use the same process on 1000s of databases in our organization, and this is the only one that will not restore to a higher version of SQL, yet does so consistently.

No idea when it's just one of the databases but there have been fixes for 2017 and problems restoring TDE database with compression. I'm aware of this one:
    Cumulative Update 13 for SQL Server 2017

Sue

• Here is the workaround to remove SQL Server error message 3013:
    https://www.sqlrecoverysoftware.net/blog/sql-error-3013.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply