Error message on SQL Server 2000

• Can someone help, I've been getting an error meesage when I execute this code

declare @sDescription as varchar(1000)

declare @sSkill as varchar(1000)

declare @sFallback as varchar(1000)

declare @swmskill as varchar(1000)

declare @sql as varchar(5000)

set @sDescription = 'crap2'

set @sSkill = 'crap4'

set @sFallback = 'crap1'

set @swmskill = 'crap5'

set @sql = ' INSERT INTO [TRC]  ([Description2],Skill, Fallback,wmskill) VALUES (' + @sDescription + ',' + @sSkill + ',' + @sFallback + ',' + @swmskill + ')'

exec (@sql)

The error message is :-

Server: Msg 128, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

The name 'crap2' is not permitted in this context. Only constants, expressions, or variables allowed here. Column names are not permitted.

can anyone help please

• If you had seen the @sql value just before executing it, you will know whats wrong.

You have to have another single quote in front of each variable. Something like this:

set @sql = ' INSERT INTO [TRC]  ([Description2],Skill, Fallback,wmskill) VALUES (' + '''' + @sDescription + '''' +  ',' + '''' +  @sSkill + '''' +  ',' +  '''' + @sFallback + '''' +  ',' + @swmskill + '''' + ')'

Thanks,

Ganesh

• Why are you using dynamic sql for this???

• What I posted wasn't the complete code, it was from a stored procedure which allowed me to specify the table name from vb code, I was testing it in the sql query analyzer, but to simplify debugging I hard coded the table name

• many thanks for the assistance, it works great now

• I strongly suggest you read this :

The Curse and Blessings of Dynamic SQL

• thanks for the info, makes an interesting read

• in one of the reply's it said "If you had seen the @sql value just before executing it, you will know whats wrong." is there a way of "covering" the viable to actually see what it contains?

• print @VariableName

then execute from QA

• thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply