Error Installing SQL Server 2008 Express: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission

• I have tried installing SQL Server 2008 multiple times on my machine, and I always receive this error about 3/4 of the way through: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.

I have tried installing both SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and SQL Server 2008 with Advanced Services, and they both fail the same way. I am trying to do a new stand-alone installation.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Looking into the error, some forums say I have to install it from THE Administrator account, and not an account with administrator permissions; it also cannot be in Safe Mode, because then the Windows Installer won't work. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to login to the Administrator account. I can go to the home login screen, do ctrl+alt+del twice, and attempt to login to the Administrator account, but I receive this error: Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction.

Other forums say that in the Server Configuration section, all you have to do is provide the username and a strong password from an administrative account on the computer, and it doesn't have to be THE Administrator. Well, I did that, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my username and password, it says something like "The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent are invalid". BUT THOSE ARE THE CORRECT CREDENTIALS FOR MY ADMINISTRATIVE USER! So I'm forced to use one of the accounts without a password, like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. That's the only way I can get past this step.

Also, just FYI, on the next step, which is Database Engine Configuration, I am using Mixed Mode for the Security Mode. I AGAIN provide a password, and then add my current user (who IS an administrator on my machine!) to the SQL Server Administrators box.

But yet, it fails every single time.

This is pathetic and ridiculous. I must have tried to install this thing 15 times, that is not an exaggeration. I'm posting this on several other forums as well, maybe an MVP or Bill Gates himself can help me.

I have one of the log files from a failed installation. If someone would like to see it, I will post it.

• i think i had a similar issue, and it was related to a weak password for my user; i don't remember if it was my sa account or my admin account on my laptop...it's been a while.

i had to change to a more complex password for the install; lemme see if i can find the kb article....

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (11/21/2008)

i think i had a similar issue, and it was related to a weak password for my user; i don't remember if it was my sa account or my admin account on my laptop...it's been a while.

i had to change to a more complex password for the install; lemme see if i can find the kb article....

Thank you, I'd appreciate it if you could find that for me.

• I haven't had any answers from any other forums, I'll just post my log file in case anyone wants to look at this:

Overall summary:

Final result: SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.

Exit code (Decimal): -2068643839

Exit facility code: 1203

Exit error code: 1

Exit message: SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.

Start time: 2008-11-17 11:13:47

End time: 2008-11-17 12:17:25

Requested action: Install

Log with failure: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Exception help link: http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.0.1600.22%26EvtType%3d0xBE029E38%400x12C2466D

Machine Properties:

Machine name: STEVEN

Machine processor count: 2

OS version: Windows XP

OS service pack: Service Pack 3

OS region: United States

OS language: English (United States)

OS architecture: x86

Process architecture: 32 Bit

OS clustered: No

Product features discovered:

Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered

Package properties:

Description: SQL Server Database Services 2008

SQLProductFamilyCode: {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}

ProductName: SQL2008

Type: RTM

Version: 10

SPLevel: 0

Installation location: D:\x86\setup Installation edition: DEVELOPER

User Input Settings:

ACTION: Install

ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN: False

AGTSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

AGTSVCPASSWORD: *****

AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Manual

ASBACKUPDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup

ASCOLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS

ASCONFIGDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Config

ASDATADIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data

ASDOMAINGROUP:

ASLOGDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Log

ASPROVIDERMSOLAP: 1

ASSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

ASSVCPASSWORD: *****

ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic

ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS: STEVEN\Steven

ASTEMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Temp

BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Disabled

CONFIGURATIONFILE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini

ENABLERANU: False

ERRORREPORTING: False

FEATURES: SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,AS,RS,BIDS,CONN,IS,BC,SDK,BOL,SSMS,ADV_SSMS,SNAC_SDK,OCS

FILESTREAMLEVEL: 0

FILESTREAMSHARENAME:

FTSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

FTSVCPASSWORD: *****

HELP: False

INDICATEPROGRESS: False

INSTALLSHAREDDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTALLSQLDATADIR:

INSTANCEDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTANCEID: MSSQLSERVER

INSTANCENAME: MSSQLSERVER

ISSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

ISSVCPASSWORD: *****

ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic

MEDIASOURCE: D: NPENABLED: 0

PID: *****

QUIET: False

QUIETSIMPLE: False

RSINSTALLMODE: DefaultNativeMode

RSSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

RSSVCPASSWORD: *****

RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic

SAPWD: *****

SECURITYMODE: SQL

SQLBACKUPDIR:

SQLCOLLATION: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

SQLSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

SQLSVCPASSWORD: *****

SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic

SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS: STEVEN\Steven

SQLTEMPDBDIR:

SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:

SQLUSERDBDIR:

SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:

SQMREPORTING: False

TCPENABLED: 0

X86: False

Configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Feature: Database Engine Services

MSI status: Passed

Configuration status: Failed: see details below

Configuration error code: 0x12C2466D

Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.

Configuration log: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature: SQL Client Connectivity SDK

Configuration status: Passed

Feature: SQL Server Replication

Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.

Configuration log: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature: Full-Text Search

Feature: Analysis Services

Feature: Reporting Services

Feature: Integration Services

Feature: Client Tools Connectivity

Feature: Management Tools - Complete

Feature: Management Tools - Basic

Feature: Client Tools SDK

Feature: Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature: Business Intelligence Development Studio

Feature: SQL Server Books Online

Feature: Microsoft Sync Framework

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

• Can anyone help?

• bump

• As I mentioned over at SQLTeam, you may want to give CSS a shout. If no one's answering it's most likely because they don't know.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Same problem for me. No solution currently found

-- Vista Ultimate, German version

-- RC0 was previously installed and ran Ok for months

-- Did a total manual registry cleanup and tried 8 times in different variations, including an Ini-Based one

-- It's not my first SQL install; I probably have done this 50 times in my life,

Only solution for me is to install a Virtual PC with Server 2003 on the same machine, where install works as usual without problems.

Dieter

• FINALLY got this installed!

Someone with a keen eye noticed that my computer name and account name were the same, and this was causing problems. So I changed my computer name, and it installed correctly.

One other suggestion that I didn't try was to uninstall SP3 on XP and then install SQL Server 2008. Apparently there are some security issues with SP3 and SQL Server 2008. So if anyone else is having troubles, you could try that (along with the other solutions I tried in my original post).

I'm not sure if that will help anyone else here who is having problems, but it might help some.

• Steven01025 (1/22/2009)

Someone with a keen eye noticed that my computer name and account name were the same, and this was causing problems. So I changed my computer name, and it installed correctly.

This also was the case for my installation. Will try later.

• I was also running with the same problem. I had to install and uninstall almost 10 times. This worked great. Thanks steve.

• Thanks!

I have the same issue [computer name] = [username], XP SP3 and SQL Server 2008. Uninstalled SQL Server 2008, changed computer name and reinstalled ... worked!!

😀

• Steven01025 (1/22/2009)

FINALLY got this installed!

thanks steven!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply