Error during installation SP1

• I'm trying to install SP1 for SQL 2000 Client on Windows 2000 Pro machine. I'm getting message:

_INS5576_MP.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log being created.

Does anybody knows what does mean and what I need to do next

• I haven't seen any errors with the installs that I have done however, I do see them periodically posted to this site. It seems in most cases that the error results when some other application is running on the computer.

Have you ensured that all other applications are shut down - i.e. virus detection software?

At what point of the install do you get the error?

Do you have full install rights on the Pro machine (local admin)? If not, that may be the issue as well.

Sorry I couldn't come up with more for you.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Search your WINNT folder. There should be a sqlsp1.txt or something similar. Find all files changed in the last day and you should find it. It will help clue you in on where the installation fails. I have seen a few errors but not this one. If you post the log, we will try to help.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve,

I found file "sqlsp.txt" and at the end of this file I found:

15:33:22 Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup\CurrentVersion\CSDVersionNumber key not found, no SP installed

Do you know what was an initial value and type for this key before SP1 and should I just go ahead and create it?

Thank you for your help and Happy Thanksgiving

Alex

• I don't have this folder in my servers. If I check for this value in my SP1 file, I don't see anything. Perhaps the SP is corrupt? Are you applying the same SP as on the server?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve,

This is not a server installation, this is a client tools installation on Win 2000 Pro machine. If you have any client machine with 2000 Pro, check registry and you'll be able to find it.

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply