Error creating an Oracle DataSource "OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available."

• I have a new Report Server installation 2012 and have been moving my reports from RS 2008 to this new installation. All my Sql Server reports have moved over just fine. Since I had reports that pulled data from a Oracle Database I installed a Oracle 11g client and tested using SQL Plus. I can connect to the Oracle Database with SQL Plus and run queries without any problems. I then tried to create an Oracle Datasource which I will need for my Oracle reports. When I test the connection I get the error :

OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available.

I have Googled the error but have not found anything that has been useful. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...

• Hi, I was getting same error when I was trying to create SSRS datasource (SQL RS 2012) to Oracle database. And in my case I found that there were two instances of Oracle client installed on SSRS (SQL Reporting Service) server i.e.

1st Installation (main) at C:\Oracle\*

2nd Installation at C:\Program Files\Oracle*

I resolved this error by uninstalling 2nd Oracle client installation using Oracle Universal Installer utility on SSRS server. I believe when SSRS trying to look for TNSNAMES.ORA file it was not able to refer due to two set of Oracle client.

Thanks,

Ash

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply