Error 29538 while installing Hotfix

• While installing hotfix 951217 on SQL 2005, I get the folowing error :

Error Number : 29538

Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf. To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

I have checked the Security under Proerties for this file and Administrators is added to it.

Any advise... is helpful

Thanks,

• The prblem is not that Administrator didn't have permissions on the file,

but that the Hotfix installation was started under an account which is not an administrator on the server.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I have installed this hotfix on other Production Servers successfully, and I am member of a group which in turn is part of Administrators on this Server. So, I don't think, this is the problem.

THanks,

• I had a similar problem over the weekend. We had our data on "E" and our logs on "D". We also performed a "move" of our databases in the past, which is probably causing confusion for SQL. Out of desperation I tried out what was recommended in this article (http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32188808/sql-server-upgrade-msp-er.aspx)... and it worked somewhat. By the way, I performed the installation of KB948109 and got into this position. Have you had any luck on resolving your problem?

• Hi All,

There could be multiple problems. But one thing that you would like to check is by stopping the SQL sevrer service from the services console and then refreshing the screen to see if the SQL server service restarts itself. If it does then the problem is that the SQL server service is being started by some third party service.

During the installation the setup stops the SQL server service while trying to replace the files. So if some other service restarts the SQL server service, The setup would not be able to replace the files as SQL server would have the handles on the files. Which would cause the setup to fail.

Hope this info help you.

• I am getting this error, from Summary.txt, while trying to install KB970892:

**********************************************************************************

Product Installation Status

Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)

Product Version (Previous): 4035

Product Version (Final) :

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: f:\MSSQL_Data\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf. To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is the installer is looking in the wrong place for the system resource database.

It is still in the original location from installing SQL.

Can I move the system resource database?

Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143

"Quality, like Success, is a Journey, not a Destination" - William Soranno '92

• Amit Chaudhary (9/8/2008)

While installing hotfix 951217 on SQL 2005, I get the folowing error :

Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf. To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

the name for this file must be mssqlsystemresource.ldf, have you renamed it.? If so the upgrade will fail. Rename it back and ensure the resource database files are in the same place as the master database files, also do NOT sperate the database and log files for master,model and resource, and for msdb only is it is very heavily updated. there is no need to treat system databases like user databases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have not renamed the file. It is in the original location from installing SQL (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data).

I have moved the system databases to F:\MSSQL_Data. and the logs to F:\MSSQL_Logs.

They have been in these locations 1 1/2 years with no problems.

Why would the installer for this patch look in the F: drive when sp3 went on with out a problem?

Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143

• William Soranno (10/16/2009)

I have not renamed the file. It is in the original location from installing SQL (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data).

I have moved the system databases to F:\MSSQL_Data. and the logs to F:\MSSQL_Logs.

They have been in these locations 1 1/2 years with no problems.

Why would the installer for this patch look in the F: drive when sp3 went on with out a problem?

If I read this right your resource database is not in the same location as the master database? And the installer is looking for the resource database in the directory where the master database is? This is where upgrades expect the resource database to be and they are known to fail if it is not.

Move the resource database to the same location as the master and move the master log back to be in the same directory as the .mdf, using processes described in

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408(SQL.90).aspx

resource database is purely read only, model and master for all intents and purposes read only so no performance benefit in separating log from data, and doing so increases risk of hitting problems such as this.

• I moved them so they were all in the same location and the patch applied.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143

• thats good to hear. thanks for posting back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply