Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0 After SP4 installed

• Good morning,

Well I am getting the Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0 Process 181:1 (c64) UMS Context 0x04D9CB18 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 0.

This occurs when ever I back up a 7 GB database. I have changed the time of the backups to a time that the server is used the least. There are seven other database on the server and this is the only one that this happens on. We added sp4 two weeks ago and it did not resolve the issue.

About the Server: Dell 2650 2 processor. 4 GB of mem.

Wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem after SP4?

Thank you for your time.

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Issue solved. ( Sounded better in my head as Inspector Clouseau then written down.) Anyway, here is what I found. As stated befor the problem occured when ever the backup ran no matter what time i changed it too. I ran all of the DBCC on the database and found nothing. I restored the database to another server and ran the backups and no error.

A light went on and I created a new scheduled backup and ran it... No errors. For some reason the olser scheduled job caused the errors while the new one does not. Not sure why but I know that all is working now!

Have a great day. I am off to a 2 hour meeting and betting on which coworkers head hits the table first! I am taking Scott he a sure bet!

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Stacey,

I know this was some time ago when you were seeing this error but I'm having a very simular issue now.  Just wondering if you were using SQL backups at the time or a 3rd party backup tool?

Thanks,

Tyffany

• No I used SQL to handle it. HTen I back up the file from disk to tape using TSM

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Tyffany,

Are you using Maintenance Plans to do your backups? We have found that sometimes Maint plans get 'corrupted' and need to be recreated.

-SQLBill

• Some times. It depends on the database were are managing.

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Hi,

I am also getting the same error

"Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0

The Scheduler 0 appears to be hung. SPID 0, ECID 0, UMS Context 0x03C586A0."

we are using sql2000 std edition with sp4. I am getting this error very frequently in the past 10 days. Due to this error my system gets hanged and unable to serve sql transaction. When i checked the microsoft site they mentioned that error has been resolved in SP4 but even in sp4 also this error is coming.

Can anybody help me out in resolving the issue.

• Hi guys

I am having the same problem.

2008-04-29 16:22:38.03 server Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0

2008-04-29 16:22:38.03 server Process 77:0 (720) UMS Context 0x0A2477A0 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 5

:w00t:

• Hi guys

I am having the same problem.

2008-04-29 16:22:38.03 server Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0

2008-04-29 16:22:38.03 server Process 77:0 (720) UMS Context 0x0A2477A0 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 5

:w00t:

• Have any of you tried the solution I mentetioned earlier in this message string?

I have had this happen a couple of time on differnent servers and creating a new backup plan seems to fix it.

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Ours is not related to backup. Still not sure what's going on. (Environment: SQL2000 Enterprise Edition + SP4 + Hotfix2187 + Windows2003 + IA64-bit)

• Word of advice from someone who's been there. SQL 2000 does not play nice on Itaniums. I strongly recommend you consider upgrading to SQL 2005. It's a lot, lot more stable on the itanium architecture.

Do you have any linked servers?

Are you using OPENROWSET at all?

Do you have high latch waits? (Check what DBCC SQLPERF(waitstats) says)

Can you see what the process that's unyielding is doing? (Use DBCC INPUTBUFFER(<spid> )

The spid is listed in the nonyielding message

Process 77:0 (720) UMS Context 0x0A2477A0 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 5

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/9/2008)

Can you see what the process that's unyielding is doing? (Use DBCC INPUTBUFFER(<spid> )

The spid is listed in the nonyielding message

Process 77:0 (720) UMS Context 0x0A2477A0 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 5

Thanks, Gail.

The SPID in the nonyielding message is 0.

We sent our logs and dump files to Microsoft, and are waiting for their support.

• The SPID in the nonyielding message is 0.

We sent our logs and dump files to Microsoft, and are waiting for their support.

Did you hear back from Microsoft? Did they resolve it? We are having the same problem.

Thanks.

• Hi,

I am having the same issue right now, Error 17883 and the sameSQL 2000 sp4.

But unable to find the solution for this issue. Please can some one reply me back with your solutions to this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply