Enterprise or Standard SQL?

• I have a pharmacy client that is looking to do web-based exchange of prescription information among 46 clinics.

I will need to add approximately 7,000 prescription records a day (2.5 million records per year) and will need to search them for historical profiles, reports, etc.

Will the Standard edition SQL be scalable enough for this solution or do I need to go ahead and start with the Enterprise edition SQL? I found some comparison charts, but I can't translate them into an answer with regards to my basic needs.

I would like to do the web serving on one machine and access the database via ODBC on a second machine.

Your experinces and advice are greatly appreciated.

• Hardware will probably end up being a more critical decision that which version of SQL. All depends on the number of concurrent users and how complex your transactions are. You should choose Enterprise because it has a feature you need (log shipping for example, or to add more memory). I suspect standard will work fine. Budget is always a consideration of course!

Andy

• Thanks Andy.

They're paying and we haven't purchased any hardware yet so your suggestions in that area are also appreciated. 🙂

The features of the database function are really pretty simple - adding patient, prescription, and drug information to the database. I will have tracking on the prescriptions (order placed - filled - picked up) but the majority of the task is to store the data, then search and display it in reports.

thanks,

Valerie

• You may want to check out the Compaq Active Answers site for some SQL Server sizers.

http://activeanswers.compaq.com

One thing you may want to consider... If you've got a live database taking prescription additions at the clip of 7K a day, you may need to set up a warehousing solution (separate server) which will grab data from the live database during times of low period (such as early morning) in order for you to do reporting. The last thing you want is a report query causing performance issues in your live system.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply