Ensuring Designs have Flexibility

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Friday, January 18, 2019 12:03 PM

roger.plowman - Friday, January 18, 2019 11:48 AM

No, of course not. But there is one critical difference between rules in the database and rules in the app.

App rules only apply for that one application. If someone else writes a second application and deliberately (or accidently or ignorantly) doesn't include the rules, then the rules go bye-bye. And long with it consistency.

If the database enforces the rules applications can not bypass them. One app or a thousand, all hitting the same database means all of the apps must abide by the rules.

Security 101, segregation of responsibility.

Well yeah if your shop is the wild west heh I hear ya man, put the sheriff on that server and lock the doors!

Yeah, I am moving more towards that myself mainly because it's a huge bottleneck to rely on a SQL Developer just to add or change a rule. I've also been moving towards more lean approaches to the data model with the RDBMS for that same fact. The traditional RDBMS is used as a catch-all for everything where everything has to conform to it's standard. That's silly.

With document databases, the model doesn't have to be realized and you can start using the data as soon as it hits the disk. Then later, pushed into a proper model where both access points are accessible to the end user -- RAW and PROCESSED. Then with the spawn of cloud databases, there is no reason to not give your app it's own DB for it's own rules versus forcing it to grow stale because it cannot change something without impacting the other 1000 apps using the same old DB.

So far, I love it.

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply