Emailing textfiles in SSIS

• I have an SSIS package which generates text files every hour as I have sql jobs which run this SSIS package every 1 hour.. So there will 24files in 1 day. All these text files are dumped into a folder . I have to modify my package such that for every 1 hour when a text file is generated that text file is also emailed .

Eg: At 11:10 am a text file is generated and dumped into a folder. So at 11:10 am when the text file is generated that text is also emailed.

If at 12:10 am another text file is generated that text file is emailed at 12:10am and dumped into a folder .

Thanks

• You may use Even Handlers.

You can define Event Handler per executable task. Add details like for Error or Success etc.

Then configure your send mail task to send the generated file as an attachment.

• Can you plz elaborate on the process.

Thanks

• sqlserver12345 (12/9/2009)

I have an SSIS package which generates text files every hour as I have sql jobs which run this SSIS package every 1 hour.. So there will 24files in 1 day. All these text files are dumped into a folder . I have to modify my package such that for every 1 hour when a text file is generated that text file is also emailed .

Eg: At 11:10 am a text file is generated and dumped into a folder. So at 11:10 am when the text file is generated that text is also emailed.

If at 12:10 am another text file is generated that text file is emailed at 12:10am and dumped into a folder .

Thanks

I also don't understand what the person is saying but the SSIS send mail task may not be what you need if you are not sending it the mail with your company Exchange server. If the mail is going to your company mail server then you can use Windows authentication. If not then you may want to use the Agent to also send the mail because SSIS may not send the mail secure because you have to use anonymous authentication.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142165.aspx

Here is visual configuration of the mail task.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1731

Here is a thread here with many options with code.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic462732-148-2.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• My SSIS package extracts data from the database and dumps it into a textfile with timestamps.There is job which runs this SSIS package every hour.I have to mail each of those text files when they are created every hour to some email xyz@company.com each time the SSIS package is run by the job . How do I achieve this.

Thanks

• sqlserver12345 (12/14/2009)

My SSIS package extracts data from the database and dumps it into a textfile with timestamps.There is job which runs this SSIS package every hour.I have to mail each of those text files when they are created every hour to some email xyz@company.com each time the SSIS package is run by the job . How do I achieve this.

Thanks

If company.com is your employer then you need to add SSIS mail task before creating the job but if it is not your employer then you need to create a new job that will send mail with one of the many mail related system stored procedures or use database mail.

The last two links I posted comes with code and steps for the SSIS mail task.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply