Edit script on Script Task hangs when VB is selected but opens when C# is selected

• I googled and searched on this and can't find anything about this specific issue.

Has anyone ever experienced this? It doesn't pop up any errors, it just sits there when I try to edit a script in Script Task if I choose VB. It opens immediately when I choose C# which makes me think it's not a memory issue. Once it hangs, I have to kill it via the Task Manager.

• Seems like an issue loading the assemblies needed for VB.

Did you try a repair of BIDS? (bit of a long shot, I know)

I think this is the universe telling you to switch to C#. 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (4/24/2014)

Seems like an issue loading the assemblies needed for VB.

Maybe...it did work at first, but it doesn't anymore. I installed SQL Server 2012 developer ed. on my laptop at home as the admin and I've never had this issue there. Maybe the permissions on my work laptop made it so something's read only, hidden, or didn't get installed properly. It'd take forever to find it probably.

I'd like to switch to c# but I don't know it and I can't seem to find a decent resource for learning it as it relates to SSIS. Can you recommend a good book? 🙂

• SQL is delicious (4/25/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (4/24/2014)

Seems like an issue loading the assemblies needed for VB.

Maybe...it did work at first, but it doesn't anymore. I installed SQL Server 2012 developer ed. on my laptop at home as the admin and I've never had this issue there. Maybe the permissions on my work laptop made it so something's read only, hidden, or didn't get installed properly. It'd take forever to find it probably.

I'd like to switch to c# but I don't know it and I can't seem to find a decent resource for learning it as it relates to SSIS. Can you recommend a good book? 🙂

The only SSIS scripting book that I know is with Visual Basic.

I learned C# by myself as well. Just looked online for a few easy tutorials to get familiar with the syntax. And then just dive in. The algorithms are just the same as with VB, it's just the syntax that is different.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks Koen; I think what's making me queasy is I don't know the object model in SSIS very well and I haven't been able to find a good resource for that either. It's tricky getting started; even the "professional SSIS" books kind of skim over actual scripting and actual expression-writing, which are two areas that I need help with. :crying:

• The original problem solved itself when I got a new laptop. Apparently the one I was first issued with was really that bad. I'm told that it's extraordinary for the IT dept here to switch out a laptop that quickly instead of attempting to repair it, so I feel fortunate.

In any case, I don't have the original problem anymore. I wish I knew what the actual problem was, though! I'll wonder about that for a while.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply