Easy Listening

• For some fun this week, let's take a bit of a break from technology. Actually it's not completely a break since it seems that most people enjoy music, especially geeks when they're working, so this Friday it's a slightly different poll to take your mind off work.

Sometime recently my wife and I were driving around and talking about music. For some reason we hit upon the "if you could only have xxx" things and debated a few different items. You may have guessed, but suppose you were stuck on a deserted island, going to space, lost somewhere and only could get a limited amount of music for some reason.

What 5 CDs would you take?

It's an easy question, but also kind of hard. If you're like me, you've heard literally thousands of CDs in your life. And if you're much younger, you're probably not even buying CDs anymore, sticking to individual songs from iTunes or Rhapsody or whereever.

I'd have to think about CDs that I really enjoy almost every song. And CDs that I've listened to many times and still enjoyed. There are some classics out there, but also some that don't have enough great songs.

For example, Led Zeppelin IV is a great album, but only on one side. On the other hand, Back in Black is a classic that I like almost every song from and it has that hard driving feel to it. I definitely need to have at least 2 CDs to get you pumped up.

From the other classics out there, Hot Rocks 1964-1971 by the Rolling Stones is probably one I'd take. I'd also have to include either Songs in the Key of Life or Natural Wonder by Stevie Wonder.

I think I'd consider A Funk Odyssey by Jamiroquai since I think I like every song and it's upbeat and funky. Room for Squares by John Mayer is another modern one that I love. Course that easy going guitar by Mr. Mayer has to be balanced against the songs from Tracy Chapman's first album.

There's so many more I'd have to consider, Prince, The Beatles, Elton John, U2, the Eagles, and more. But there are relatively few albums that I've almost worn out at times in my life. I think I'd look to the Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Tracy Chapman, and then Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vol. 1-2 to round out my five.

• Ahh the old desert island discs debate. Always one I like. I won't give any explanation, only to say my 5 are:

• The Stone Roses - The Stones Roses
    • Leftism - Leftfield
    • Blue Lines - Massive Attack
    • OK Computer - Radiohead
    • Telling Stories - The Charlatans

I guess I'm giving my era away a bit

-Jamie

• No particular order

Blood on the Tracks                -  Bob Dylan

The Future                            -  Leonard Cohen

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash      -  The Pogues

The Boatman's Call                 -  Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Closing Time                          -  Tom Waits

• I'd burn 5 MP3-CD's holding the complete works of

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Queen

AC/DC

Keeps me going on those long trips from Holland to Poland and back....

• Queen's Greatest Hits would be in there - the two CD edition. Does that count as one or two?

Of course, the number one album, the first one to mind, the one that you have to put aside for a year and then listen to fresh in the car at full volume.....The Joshua Tree from U2. Just how many stadium anthems can you fit on one album?

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Queen - A Day At The Races

Pink Floyd - Pulse

_An_ Iron Maiden live album (I've got 4 to choose from...)

GNR - Live Era

(Anyone guessed that I like live albums? :-))

• Rodrigo Y Gabriela (Rodrigo Y Gabriela)

Earth and Sun and Moon (Midnight Oil)

Last Train to Mashville (Alabama 3)

Me and Mr. Johnson (Eric Clapton)

Greatest Hits (The Offspring)

• My list:

Steve Earle / El Corazon

Tom Petty / Anthology

The Beatles / Revolver

Gothic Voices / Hildegard Von Bingen - A Feather on the Breath of God

Rimsky-Korsakov / Scheherazade

Trouble is, if I wrote the list tomorrow, I'd come up with a different list. Music is such a mood thing, even when you really like something. Sometimes I really like 'X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolsecents' and other times it's just a noise. On another day I might have included:

Bruce Springsteen / Nebraska or Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Neil Young / After The Goldrush

Crosby Stills & Nash / So Far

The Who / Who's Next

• My favorites would be Best Of's of the following bands/artists:

U2

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Queen

Sting

and for the final position, I can't make my mind, but it would be between:

Gene Loves Jezebel

Tears for Fears

Dire Straits

Manic Street Preachers

Phil Collins

Or maybe a CD with the best songs from these artists.

• U2 - too many albums to choose from, so if I could only take one it might be Greatest Hits 1990-2000...

Tower of Song (awesome collection of Leonard Cohen songs done by others - check it out at http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Song-Songs-Leonard-Cohen/dp/B000001EZK)

Live - The Distance To Here (a hard choice, but again, if I could only take one of theirs...)

Queen - Greatest Hits (I, II & III if I can get away with it! )

Van Morrison - Greatest Hits (again, Vol 1&2 if possible...)

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• My theory is that anything too hard-hitting will grow boring over time, so most of them need to be able to just flow over you, with a smattering of blood-stirrers.

Got to agree on U2 Greatest Hits, then Pink Floyd - The Division Bell, and the others will be obscure to most:

Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern

Hot Chip - The Warning

Crowded House - Recurring Dream

And anyone who disagrees doesn't get on the island..and mine has no taxes

Craig

• Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

Boatman's Call - Nick Cave

Secret Treaties - Blue Oyster Cult

Honey From the Tombs - Amy Millan

Decoration Day - Drive By Truckers

• The main thing about an album as opposed to a collection of songs is it needs to flow.

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon is the best example I can think of.

REM - New adventures in Hi-Fi is another

Semisonic - Semisonic

Collections of songs:

Best of U2

Best of Motzart

Hmmm Driving from Holland to Poland. Adrenaline on a slow drip I think would be a great idea.

Maybe next time is do it

• Look out for 'Desert Island Disks' on the BBC Radio4 site.  It is interesting to hear that week's celeb discussing what they would take and why.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Steve - doesn't Billy Joel, Greatest Hits vol 1 & 2 count as 2? Bringing your total to 6.

I'd rip all by CD's to MP3, and burn all of those to CDs.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply