Dynamic SSRS report documentation via a ReportServer.dbo.Catalog query

• Rodan - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:24 AM

te acountsreceivables part of the query is pretty odd...

The webmin had not put in my latest update. It is in now. Try downloading the attachment again.

• I downloaded the zip file.  The rdl file contained in it has a date of 2/3/2017.

I am still getting the same error:

In the AcctRecMinTransDate TextBox there is this expression:  =Fields!AcctRecMinTransDate.Value & " through " & Fields!AcctRecMaxTransDate.Value
    But that is not retrieved in the ReportServerCatalogQuery Dataset which is the only Dataset in the report.

• Nice query! I couldn't make it run because of the various references to AccRec... , so I just manually edited the rdl to change all of those to empty strings.  Works great now!

• This is a pretty helpful concept. Thanks
    Now, something like this for SSIS would be pretty neat as well. 😉

• o103452 - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:35 AM

This is a pretty helpful concept. Thanks

You would have to be running the SSIS packages from the SSISDB catalog.
    I have been looking into it, but you have to deploy entire projects instead of individual SSIS packages.

• Not complaining, just an FYI for those who were alarmed by three minute duration...

I tested it on a QA VM and it ran 10 minutes. 
    "A man's got to be aware of his limitations." ~ Detective Harold Francis Callahan

Regards,

Gary

• Nice job. I had just finished writing up a similar query for the same reasons. Integrating it into a report would be helpful.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Gary Nease - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:56 AM

Not complaining, just an FYI for those who were alarmed by three minute duration...

I tested it on a QA VM and it ran 10 minutes. 
    "A man's got to be aware of his limitations." ~ Detective Harold Francis Callahan

I wrote this as a proof-of-concept. It can definitely be improved.

• Thanks very much to you and Lowell for taking time to do this, and for publishing your efforts.  Again, no complaints about perf.  Even if I fail to improve it, it is a valuable tool.  And for me, it serves as a sort of Rosetta Stone for the metadata had not realized existed.  Kudos

Regards,

Gary

• Stan Kulp-439977 - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:42 AM

o103452 - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:35 AM

This is a pretty helpful concept. Thanks

You would have to be running the SSIS packages from the SSISDB catalog.
    I have been looking into it, but you have to deploy entire projects instead of individual SSIS packages.

I mean, yea get metadata of each pkg that's deployed to the SSISDB (SS '12+). Tried some approaches posted by bloggers like Jamie Thompson and such but am unsuccessful thus far. 🙁

• Thank you for creating this- has anyone used this recently? i have let it run for 17+ minutes with no results or error and am hoping there is a quick fix i'm missing?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply