DTS vs. SSIS Row-End Detection

• Alright, head to wall impact is getting on my nerves.

I've got a DTS package that I'm upgrading to SSIS. It worked perfectly happy in DTS.

Here's a sample of the datafile that it was pulling from:

33.03|SUBS|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|mfus|wsta.x|aaaaaaaaaaaaaa| 22,046.336| 763,094.85| 728,190.48| -34,904.37

1.00|SUBS|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|oaus|particip|bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb| 30,936,257.16| 30,936,257.16

0.09|SUBS|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|psus|52522l459|ccccccccccccccccccccccccc|50,000.000| 500,000.00| 4,500.00| -495,500.00

Proprietary information masked.

Now, of note, you'll see line two there has two less pipe delimited columns then its local friends.

In DTS, these final columns were simply NULLS, it detected end of row correctly, and moved on with the next row.

In SSIS, It's not detecting the {CR}{LF} properly, and its chopping to bring the row below it up into the missing two positions, then leaves the rest of the next row (the other 9 columns) on the final column of the one with the missing positions.

The report itself is off a mainframe equivalent app, and is painful at best to work with, nevermind modify.

What in heck's name do I need to do to get this to behave itself?

I've attached a few images of the settings in case they can help. It almost appears that SSIS and DTS reversed when the detect the row.

EDIT: I deleted the attachments as they weren't helping and one of them I hadn't fully masked the proprietary information.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• You sure the EOL is CRLF and not just CR or LF?

Try either option on its own.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• I'm interested to know how you avoided getting a meta-data error as a result of the expected columns being missing on the dodgy row?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Craig Farrell (6/9/2011)

In DTS, these final columns were simply NULLS, it detected end of row correctly, and moved on with the next row.

In SSIS, It's not detecting the {CR}{LF} properly, and its chopping to bring the row below it up into the missing two positions, then leaves the rest of the next row (the other 9 columns) on the final column of the one with the missing positions.

Craig, I still have the scar from hitting my head against my desk when I had this exact issue 2 years ago...it's a backhanded nicety that DTS offered via poor data management principles (IMHO) that was removed from SSIS.

Unfortunately the way to handle it is to pre-process the file to add the missing delimiters. Script Task or something before it hits SSIS.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Phil Parkin (6/10/2011)

I'm interested to know how you avoided getting a meta-data error as a result of the expected columns being missing on the dodgy row?

Guessing a little but it could be because SSIS only scans the first n rows when building up the dialog for us to setup the flat file metadata.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (6/10/2011)

Phil Parkin (6/10/2011)

I'm interested to know how you avoided getting a meta-data error as a result of the expected columns being missing on the dodgy row?

Guessing a little but it could be because SSIS only scans the first n rows when building up the dialog for us to setup the flat file metadata.

Because it's not doing row detection first, so the next row fills in the 'missing spot', with the CRLF considered as just part of the string field.

It's not just the scan, I can see the exact issue in the preview of the data in the file.

I've ended up turning those last 3 columns into a single column as far as metadata is concerned and shoving the entire process through a synchronous script component.

It's ugly, but it works.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Crispin Proctor (6/10/2011)

You sure the EOL is CRLF and not just CR or LF?

Try either option on its own.

Yeah, because it works fine for the full rows, so I know it's got a CR/LF at end of row.

- Craig Farrell

• Craig Farrell (6/10/2011)

I've ended up turning those last 3 columns into a single column as far as metadata is concerned and shoving the entire process through a synchronous script component.

It's ugly, but it works.

Yuck. A necessary and warranted approach, but still yuck!

--Plato

• opc.three (6/10/2011)

Craig Farrell (6/10/2011)

It's ugly, but it works.

Yuck. A necessary and warranted approach, but still yuck!

Yeah, it had been a while since I used an asynchronous method as synchronous. Spent half my afternoon researching the code and settings again. Forgot you had to override two of the subs... which of course I really only know VB.NET and the sites I found with the best information were C#, so translating was fun, too...

- Craig Farrell

• Oh, for anyone interested, the code below. MainStreamBuffer is an output buffer that is NOT synchronized to Input 0 in properties. Because of this, ProcessInput must be overridden, or you just sit there with SSIS on the first stream batch staring at each other. This code runs pretty quick and barely slows down the stream.

The "?" means this system coughed up a NULL in that field. You'd think they could just do that for the missing columns, right?

Can this code be cleaned up? I'm quite sure it can, I'm a SQL dude, not a .NET dev. But for the rest of y'all like me who'd like an example...

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Math

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.Wrapper

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Wrapper

Public Class ScriptMain

Inherits UserComponent

Public Overrides Sub Input0_ProcessInput(ByVal Buffer As Input0Buffer)

While (Buffer.NextRow())

Input0_ProcessInputRow(Buffer)

End While

If Buffer.EndOfRowset Then

MainStreamBuffer.SetEndOfRowset()

End If

End Sub

Public Overrides Sub Input0_ProcessInputRow(ByVal Row As Input0Buffer)

Dim FirstPipe As Integer

Dim SecondPipe As Integer

Dim ModPrice As String

Dim ModQuantity As String

Dim ModMultiColumn As String

Dim ModCost As String

Dim ModMarket As String

Dim ModUnrealizedGL As String

ModPrice = Row.Price.Replace(",", "").Trim

ModQuantity = Row.Quantity.Replace(",", "").Trim

ModMultiColumn = Row.MultiColumn.Replace(",", "").Replace(" ", "")

With MainStreamBuffer

.AddRow()

If InStr(ModPrice, "?") > 0 Then

.Price_IsNull = True

Else

.Price = CDec(ModPrice)

End If

.Portfolio = Row.Portfolio

.Name = Row.Name

.Symbol = Row.Symbol

.SecurityDescription = Row.SecurityDescription

.Type = Row.Type

If InStr(ModQuantity, "?") > 0 Then

.Quantity_IsNull = True

Else

.Quantity = CDec(ModQuantity)

End If

If InStr(Row.MultiColumn, "|", CompareMethod.Text) = 0 Then

If Left(ModMultiColumn, 1) = "?" Then

.Cost_IsNull = True

Else

.Cost = CDec(ModMultiColumn)

End If

.Market_IsNull = True

.UnrealizedGL_IsNull = True

Else

FirstPipe = InStr(ModMultiColumn, "|")

SecondPipe = InStr(FirstPipe + 1, ModMultiColumn, "|", CompareMethod.Text)

ModCost = Left(ModMultiColumn, FirstPipe - 1)

ModMarket = ModMultiColumn.Substring(FirstPipe, SecondPipe - FirstPipe - 1)

ModUnrealizedGL = ModMultiColumn.Substring(SecondPipe, ModMultiColumn.Length - SecondPipe - 1)

If ModCost = "?" Or ModCost.Length = 0 Then

.Cost_IsNull = True

Else

.Cost = CDec(ModCost)

End If

If ModMarket = "?" Or ModMarket.Length = 0 Then

.Market_IsNull = True

Else

.Market = CDec(ModMarket)

End If

If ModUnrealizedGL = "?" Or ModUnrealizedGL.Length = 0 Then

.UnrealizedGL_IsNull = True

Else

.UnrealizedGL = CDec(ModUnrealizedGL)

End If

End If

End With

End Sub

End Class

- Craig Farrell

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply