DTS VS BCP

• Hi Everybody,

We are starting new application in which the filese are moved  and stored in a folder in destination server via ftp from one server to another.I have a question like shall I use DTS or BCP to transfer the files data in folder to tables in destinaion sql server.

The files are text file.Which one is faster among DTS and BCP?

I may have to do some transformations in data before loading it to sql server table.So can I do transformations if use bcp to load data?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

SR

Thanks,
    SR

• If you need to IMPORT with TRANSFORMATION you will need to use DTS AFAIK.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Agreed, if Transformations are required then use DTS.  Otherwise you would have to use first load to one table then run another script to move and or transform data to the finished table.

Jersey...

• Even if transformations are not required use the DTS BULK INSERT task, it's faster than BCP. For even better performance use the T-SQL BULK INSERT command in a stored procedure.

We have a couple of DTS packages setup like this. There is no transformation or other data processing in the package. It's basically a bunch of stored procedures in ExecuteSQL tasks that are strung together using the workflow.

With the current bulk-loading technology, the only time you should consider using BCP is when you're exporting data from SQL Server.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Yep BULK INSERT is faster than BCP IN.

BCP is good when export data (ie BCP OUT).

You may reconsider using BCP out and Builk insert over DTS depending the load of transformations.

IF transformation data can be retrieve using simple select statements then views/bcp would be a better choice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply