DTS Package - Unspecified Error

• Hi,

I am trying to open up a DTS Package. But it is throwing me the following error.

Error Source : Microsoft Data Transformation Services(DTS) Package.

Error Description : Unspecified error.

But when i try to open the same package in the server using remote desktop connection - The same package is opening. Not sure why the package is not opening from my system(SQL Client tools).

This particular DTS Package has FTP Task, Dynamic Properties set up. Any of these causing this problem?? I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Uma

• Are you using an admin account when you RDP into the server, whilst using a different account when trying to run the package locally?

(Windows authentication?)

May be that the account you are using locally does not have permissions to run DTS?

It may also be that the FTP task is set up to run via the location it is run from?

i.e. there is either no FTP client on your PC or it does not have permissions to get through the firewall while the server does?

If you post the actual job/task, then I might be able to identify the problem.

Thanks

• I too have this problem. Checking on this as a solution:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/f75ba633-2a83-4ed9-8cc3-843f960c7a81/

If you find a solution please post here. I will monitor and also post my findings.

Thanks!

• I have had a similar problem in the past.

We had a developer who using the Enterprise Manager from his machine could not open the DTS, and would generate a similar error. He could open it signed in remotely on the SQL box. Also other developers could open the DTS from their machines.

In our case, the solution turned out to be the developer machine was patched to a different level than the server. We downloaded the SP's from Microsoft which had been installed on the server, on the developer machine, and the problem was fixed.

• I agree, the version of MSSQL tools installed makes all the difference. Check the osql.exe version number on your local machine. It should be 2000.80.xxxx or 2000.90.xxxx etc., these need to match on the server and on your local Enterprise Manager. This has version numbers: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q321185 . One version it does not list is a hotfix available for SQL Server 2000 SP4. Version 2000.85.1054.0 means you've installed hotfix Q960083. I had this installed on my local EM and it would not let me save DTS's to a standard 2000 SP4 box. Also, DTS's copied from an SP3 box to an SP4 box will not work, Unspecified Error. I had to save them using package designer or export to .DTS file and import to new server.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply