DTS Package Failed to Load....

• I am running SQL2K on Server 2003.  I also have workstations running XP Pro.  I am running into a situation.  Here are the steps...

1) I create a DTS package on the XP workstation.  It works fine, schedules fine, blah blah... 

2) I edit the package on the server itself (the server 2k3 box) and save it.  It still runs, schedules, etc...but

3) I try to open the package again on one of the workstations and am unable to.  (I have tested this on several workstations with the same result...can't open it)

4) The package design window opens up and it displays all of the workflow arrows and transform data arrows.

5) A dialog pops up with the error: "Error Source: Microsoft DTS Package.  Error Description: The DTS host failed to load or save the package properly."

6) The package design window closes and another error pops up that says: "The selected package cannot be opened.  The DTS Designer has been closed."

7) I go back to try and edit the package on the server itself and it opens with no problem and I can edit with no problem. 

The only way I've found to resolve this is to rollback to a version before the package was edited on the 2k3 server.  However it is very difficult to keep developers from editing package directly on the server sometimes (i.e. they are working from home and are remoting into a session on the 2k3 server).  Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

• Sounds like something weird, maybe an SP (SQL) difference?

Can you save as a file and reopen on the workstation?

• Thanks for the suggestion, Steve.  I saved the "broken" package from the 2k3 server to a structured storage file.  I went to a workstation and attempted opening the package from the file and got the same results.  Unable to open the file with the same errors.

• I believe it is an issue with the version of 2k3 vs the workstation in XP. Can you edit using a win 2K station?

I remember a similar issue occured when Migrating from Sqlserver 7.0 to SqlServer 2k. Once a DTS was edited by win 2k Workstation, a 7.0 workstation was getting the Error and vice versa! Solution was to upgrade all developers workstations to win 2K.

I would be very interested in finding out how you resolve this issue.

• Another good idea, Joseph.  We don't have too many 2k workstations left, but I found one and tried it.  Unfortunately, I get the same results.  I've been doing some surfing over the weekend and this issue seems to be rather rare.  Thanks for the input.

• Greg,

This is probably a question for Microsoft!

I would search the MSDN.

Joseph

• Already been solved:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406/en-us

• Hi,

sorry to drag this back from retirement, I am having the same problem as the OP, and it would seem that that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406/en-us isn't the answer to this problem as mentioned above, googling etc leads to this post which seems incorrect to me.

Does anyone have any tips regarding opening what seem to be corrupted DTS packages that did previously work, all SQL2k, no 2005 or 2008 as the KB explicitly mentions as being a cause.

Thanks in advance

Alex

• I had the same experience as described by Joseph and the interim solution was to save the DTS package in SQL7.0 with a password. This, bizarrely, allowed editing in SQL7.0 and viewing in SQL2000 without corruption. You could try adding a password to see if it prevents corruption. It won't recover an already corrupt DTS though.

• I had same problem. I try to explain how i solve the problem. sorry about my english. first, i notice that someone changed the default port of sql server from 1433 to 2433. After that, i notice if i register sql server as (local) in EM, everything fine. i can open package. But, if i register as workstation name, it fails. So i create an alias with workstation name and changed server port(2433) by Network Client Utility. Then everything be ok.

Nua

• This problem occurs when all the following conditions are true:

The SQL Server 2000 DTS package was last saved from an instance of SQL Server 2000 that is running on a Windows 2000-based computer.

The SQL Server 2000 DTS package is stored in a structure storage (.dts) file.

The problem occurs because of a compatibility issue with how icons are managed between DTS Designer in SQL Server 2000 and DTS Designer in SQL Server 2005.The SQL Server 2000 DTS package is modified from an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is running on a Windows Server 2003-based computer or on a Windows XP-based computer.

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods.

Method 1

Warning The following information contains steps to modify a file. Make sure that you back up the file before you modify it.

Open the SQLInstall:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE folder.

Note SQLInstall is a placeholder for the drive where SQL Server 2005 is installed.

Open the Sqlwb.exe.manifest file in Notepad or in another text editor.

Remove the following lines of code from the Sqlwb.exe.manifest file.

<dependency>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

Save the changes, and then exit Notepad or the text editor.

Try to modify the SQL Server 2000 DTS package in SQL Server 2005.

Method 2

Install SQL Server Enterprise Manager on the computer that is running SQL Server 2005. To do this, click Client Tools Only when you install SQL Server 2000.

Open the DTS package in SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and then save the DTS package. To do this, follow these steps:

Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and then connect to an instance of SQL Server 2000.

In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, expand the instance of SQL Server 2000, right-click the SQL Server Data Transformation Services folder, and then click Open Package.

Locate the .dts file, click Open, select the package, and then click OK to open the DTS package in SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer.

In SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer, click Save on the Package menu.

Modify the SQL Server 2000 DTS package in SQL Server 2005.

Hope this solves the problem. 🙂

The SQL Server 2000 DTS package was last saved from an instance of SQL Server 2000 that is running on a Windows 2000-based computer.

The problem occurs because of a compatibility issue with how icons are managed between DTS Designer in SQL Server 2000 and DTS Designer in SQL Server 2005.The SQL Server 2000 DTS package is modified from an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is running on a Windows Server 2003-based computer or on a Windows XP-based computer.

Method 1

Warning The following information contains steps to modify a file. Make sure that you back up the file before you modify it.

Open the SQLInstall:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE folder.

Note SQLInstall is a placeholder for the drive where SQL Server 2005 is installed.

<dependency>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

Method 2

Install SQL Server Enterprise Manager on the computer that is running SQL Server 2005. To do this, click Client Tools Only when you install SQL Server 2000.

Open the DTS package in SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and then save the DTS package. To do this, follow these steps:

Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and then connect to an instance of SQL Server 2000.

In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, expand the instance of SQL Server 2000, right-click the SQL Server Data Transformation Services folder, and then click Open Package.

Locate the .dts file, click Open, select the package, and then click OK to open the DTS package in SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer.

Hope this solves the problem

Method 1

<dependency>

<dependentAssembly>

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

Method 2

Hope this solves the problem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply