DTS Data Pump - Required Parameters

• Hi,

I'm looking at a problem and I think I'm going mad.

A job has failed on a production server, this job calls three DTS packages. Each of these packages is a plain data pump task from an Excel sheet to a table in a SQL database. In each, the source is a query onto an Excel sheet, just a normal select, no where clause, to trim out all the blank columns.

For some reason, we are now getting the error "No value given for one or more required parameters".

Trying to execute each of these DTS packages manually also causes this error. They have been working fine.

On opening the data pump task, and clicking the Parameters button, there are two parameters in there, where did they come from and how can they be removed?

As I said, there is no sp or where clause in the source query, not a "?" in sight.

Please help!! :crying:

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• More info (and a bit of a bump)

The source SQL statement is:

[font="Courier New"]select [col1], [col2], [col3], [col4] from [Sheet1$][/font]

I can preview the sheet if I just select it, but if I use a query the parameters show up [see attached images]

Has anybody seen this behaviour before? This has only just started occuring, the packages have been running daily for months.

The SQL Server is 2000 SP3a (2000.80.818), and the server is 2000 also. (With no option at present to upgrade or patch either... I know)

Any help would be appreciated.

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• Interestingly I experienced something very similar on a Customer's site yesterday. They happen to be on SQL2005, although our packages are Legacy 2000 style DTS packages. Again they had been working fine in the past few months. This error occurred on a few overnight.

The difference for us was that I could use DTS designer to execute the steps in one of these OK.

I then resubmitted our Reporting Jobs which run them and they all worked.

No obvious cause or resolution.

Our packages are more complicated than your own, but we do use a Lookup on an EXCEL spreasheet as part of our data dump task, on the line of the ActiveXscript task which does the Transformation.

Hope this helps

Sean

• Hi Sean, thanks for your reply!

After a couple of days of failing, the problem just went away for me, too. The fact that the packages couldn't be simpler was the main reason for the frustration, to be honest.

The layout of the spreadsheets hadn't changed, the services weren't restarted, the import tables hadn't changed and user rights to the source and destination were all OK.

I can only assume that there was some formatting in Excel that the DTS task wasn't happy with, but wasn't visible in the sheet.

:unsure:

--------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply