Downgrade SQL 2005 from Enterprise to Standard

• Hi,

We recently upgraded a 2000 enterprise version to 2005 enterprise, now we need to downgrade to 2005 standard.

Can I simply run the 2005 standard install over the top or does this require uninstall/reinstall?

I found some doumentation about doing a command line install and using the SKUUPGRADE=1 param, but I am not finding anything on my particular scenario.

If anyone has any thoughts...

thx.

• refer this link for the version and edition upgrades,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx  you cannot downgrade from enterprise to standard without uninstall and reinstalling sql server 2005.........but vice versa is possible..........

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• You cannot downgrade the edition, you get a message about it violating the edition change rules.  The only option I was able to find is to uninstall MSSQL completely and then reinstall it.

This did, however, go quite well for me.

I started by stopping the SQL services and copying all of my database files to another folder.  Then I did the uninstall and the reinistall and applied my service pack.  Finally, I stopped the SQL services and replaced the databases that I copied earlier.  Since my user databases were already in the master database, everything came back up fine.

• Hmmm, I wonder if this would work on SQLServer 2000.  I've inherited a 2000 developer server I want to eventually get to 2005 standard.

• Thanks Michael, that worked perfect!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply