Don’t Miss Out on an Opportunity to Connect

• Doctor Who 2 (5/10/2016)

...Please don't get me wrong, everyone I've had the pleasure of working with in this current job, is nice. But I feel no particular affinity towards any of them.

There is nothing wrong with that. I don't expect to gel with everyone I meet. In fact, I expect that sometimes it is the opposite i.e. opinions like "Gaz is OK...ish".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• tindog (5/9/2016)

Kyrilluk (5/9/2016)

call.copse (5/9/2016)

@Kyrilluk

That's not really the spirit is it now? I'd imagine the majority of us here will avoid meeting folk when we don't have to but I often agree that us technological introverts should try and reach out more.

My point is that we have to trust our instincts. If we don't make the time for some people it is often because we know subconsciously that we are not going to get on that well. I mean, how many time have we tried to be friend with someone to realize after a while that we let the friendship die out slowly out of boredom? We only have a limited time to devote to people outside our family and friends circle. Any time spent on building new friendship will be at the cost of maintaining your current circle of friends and family members.

Now things are different if we don't have a family or a good circle of friends already. But this is not what I gathered from the article.

But on the other hand, we could miss out on some deep relationships with other people because of our lack of ability to put time aside. I know I find it very difficult to make time to make new friends (I find it stressful spending time with someone I'm not close to), and no doubt I have missed out on knowing some wonderful people because of that.

I see what you're saying though, quite often we'll meet someone and know we're not going to 'click'. But I don't think the article is referring to those situations. There's quite a few people I've met through my group of friends - their girlfriends come and go, but sometimes I really like one and always intend to make time to go for dinner and get to know them better. Next thing I know, a year's passed, they're no longer my friends girlfriend and it's too awkward to arrange a catch-up. Perhaps if I had put time aside, those would have blossomed into friendships.

Quite. I don't really blame anyone for not getting to know me, I'm strong on defences, with well drilled professionalism and courtesy to the fore. I don't even know how anyone ever gets past that and becomes a good friend but it does happen occasionally.

In fact that almost goes back to what Kyrilluk says - that it will happen when it happens. Perhaps I'd like to put more effort in to make it happen more.

• "the best of intensions" was probably intended to describe "intentions" ?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply