Doing the Implementation and Maintenance exams as a .NET Developer?

• Hi,

I am a certified .NET Developer (70-536 being one of my certifications, which is a .NET exam). In my current job, I rarely touch SQL Server (and we have plenty of instances) but when I do, it's just to write some simple queries etc.

However, in some jobs, like my first, they were a bit more heavy on SQL Server. I believe every developer should know SQL Server quite well (but not quite to the extent of a DBA) as responsibility still falls on us for some issues. With that being said, I am planning to do the SQL Server 2008 exams on Database Maintenance and Implementation (can't remember exact numbers but I mean both the MCTS and MCITP).

Would you guys recommend this?

• The more you understand waht a DBA does the better. Not so you can argue with him or her, but so that you understand why they do the things they do, and by knowing you can be sure to write things from their perspective as well.

• I agree with what you guys are saying - if you manage your own development environment then knowing things like how the transaction log works is a good idea, so the Imp and Maint exam (70-432) will cover that. But I'd like to point out the Database Development exam (70-433) may be more appropriate as it covers things like full text indexing and CLR - stuff you're likely to use more often.

Or you can do what I did, which is read through the course material for both exams before deciding. That way you get a good overview of both and can see which one you find most relevent. The red "Real MCTS Prep Kits" by Mark Horninger are cheaper and better presented than the blue MS Press Training Kits.

https://www.abbstract.info/ - my blog
    http://www.sqlsimon.com/ - my experiences with SQL Server 2008

• info-849042 (11/26/2009)

Hi,

I am a certified .NET Developer (70-536 being one of my certifications, which is a .NET exam). In my current job, I rarely touch SQL Server (and we have plenty of instances) but when I do, it's just to write some simple queries etc.

However, in some jobs, like my first, they were a bit more heavy on SQL Server. I believe every developer should know SQL Server quite well (but not quite to the extent of a DBA) as responsibility still falls on us for some issues. With that being said, I am planning to do the SQL Server 2008 exams on Database Maintenance and Implementation (can't remember exact numbers but I mean both the MCTS and MCITP).

Would you guys recommend this?

I just wanted to add that exam 70-536 is the base class exam it comes without credential you must pass a platform exam with 70-536 to get MCTS in the platform of choice.

That said I think you should buy the SQL Server 2008 developer edition and study for exam 70-433 because it is created for developers like you who wants to add SQL Server skills. You could use a book but the Transact-SQL Reference in MSDN online covers most of what you need to study and get a good practice test. If you need help with the materials for the exam post again here in the SQL Server 2008 general forum and we will help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-433#tab2

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I have also passed 70-630, which is the Sharepoint 2007 Configuration Exam and I'm taking 70-562 (ASP.NET) very soon, both MCTS.

I guess I will have to decide on the path to take and look into both paths a little more closely. The developer exam for SQL Server is a little more basic but at home I manage SQL Server and I need to work in all areas of it really.

• info-849042 (11/27/2009)

I have also passed 70-630, which is the Sharepoint 2007 Configuration Exam and I'm taking 70-562 (ASP.NET) very soon, both MCTS.

I guess I will have to decide on the path to take and look into both paths a little more closely. The developer exam for SQL Server is a little more basic but at home I manage SQL Server and I need to work in all areas of it really.

The exam 70-630 is the SharePoint configuration exam it is an MCTS exam but those map to SharePoint Master credential not developer credential. So when you pass exam 70-562 you get MCTS in Asp.net 3.5 with exam 70-536, that is both 70-536 and 70-562 are needed for the MCTS because only one comes without a credential.

To your second question you should take either the two exams for SQL Server 2008 developer or DBA that will give you the skills you are asking. Post again if you still need help.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply