Do we need Quorum Disk or not

• Hi,

We are planning to build 2 node cluster to configure Always on Availability groups.

Do we need Quorum Disk or not? Please advise.

• Mani-584606 (1/28/2014)

Hi,

We are planning to build 2 node cluster to configure Always on Availability groups.

If you are doing this as part of a company HA/DR implementation PLEASE let me caution you that based on this very simple question you may well NOT be successful in your endeavor to safeguard your companies data and/or operations. Always On (and any HA/DR) is COMPLEX and is NOT something to stand up after reading a bit of documentation and asking a few forum questions!!

The options for Quorum configuration can be found in the Windows Server Failover Clustering documentation. What you actually need (or can use) is based on your particular configuration.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• This set up is for test purpose and to play with Always on Groups. Thanks for the caution.

• Mani-584606 (1/28/2014)

Hi,

If both machines are on the same site and have access to shared storage, a disk quorum would be acceptable

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The typical quorum for AG implementations is File Share since the vast majority of AGs are based on WSFCs that are NOT using shared storage.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• TheSQLGuru (1/29/2014)

The typical quorum for AG implementations is File Share since the vast majority of AGs are based on WSFCs that are NOT using shared storage.

Unless one of your replicas happens to be an FCI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I thought quorum rules indicate you need a odd number for your cluster for fail over or something like that? Then again I am still learning about Always On as well.

• DBANoobie (1/30/2014)

I thought quorum rules indicate you need a odd number for your cluster for fail over or something like that? Then again I am still learning about Always On as well.

There have been numerous changes and enhancements to windows clustering in win server 2008, 2008R2 and especially the two 2012 versions. SQL Server Books Online and the appropriate windows documentation are good resources for options and functionality.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• DBANoobie (1/30/2014)

I thought quorum rules indicate you need a odd number for your cluster for fail over or something like that? Then again I am still learning about Always On as well.

With Majority Node Sets, yes you should have an odd number of votes. Hence why a straight five node cluster doesn't require a quorum witness

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply