Do I Want to Design My Own Transaction Log?

• ... The plan was to have the master copy of the database at the Admin office, and each remote location would have its own copy of the database on SQL Server Express. They wanted to be able to, for example, file an accident report at the remote location and submit it electronically to the Admin office over the internet. They would use a desktop application to create the accident report as a record in the local database. Then they click "Sync to Admin", which sends the accident report data and retrieves any updates from the Admin database since their last sync operation ...

When I hear someone talk about designing their own (fill in the blank), I'm reminded of this:

HowTo:Fit an elephant into the refrigerator

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Fit_an_Elephant_into_the_Refrigerator

A distributed database environment is a difficult thing to keep running smoothly, when there arn't many IT operational staff to maintain it. During the conceptual phase, did your organization ever consider simply implementing a web based application, which would require only one centralized database at the administrative office?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• keithcorkran (3/21/2016)

You might want to check how you're licensing SQL Web edition. I do not believe the license was designed for consumer use.

Do you have a link to what you are referencing? Web Edition is designed for web facing content, stripped replication, mirroring, etc. Developer is the limited use license, not be used in a live environment.

Maybe you have a link or some other material, from what I know the web edition is for web facing, regardless of consumer or non-consumer.

• Eric M Russell (3/22/2016)

A distributed database environment is a difficult thing to keep running smoothly, when there arn't many IT operational staff to maintain it. During the conceptual phase, did your organization ever consider simply implementing a web based application, which would require only one centralized database at the administrative office?

As I said in the article the remote part was never implemented. The forms we have implemented are using web forms and there is only one copy at the Admin office.

I won't go into our design process, except to say it's not the usual software development environment. I had questioned the need to have a database copy at each location, but took it as a challenge to meet the "requirement." If we need it in the future it looks like it would be much easier to use the MS Sync Framework that Andy mentioned.

And we only needed the trunk, I did not have to fit the entire elephant....

• The link I found is: https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/microsoft-sql-server-2014-web-edition

Under limitations it must be used for public and internet facing:

Web pages

Web sites

Web applications

Web services

• We are using 2008 R2. Do those same restrictions apply there? I do not see anything like that on the vmware page for that.

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/microsoft-sql-server-2008-web-edition

• timwell (3/23/2016)

We are using 2008 R2. Do those same restrictions apply there? I do not see anything like that on the vmware page for that.

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/microsoft-sql-server-2008-web-edition%5B/quote%5D

It doesn't say anything b/c there are no restrictions like that. Saying you can't pump data into or out of MS SQL practically negates the point of having a database - MS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that.

FWIW, the GUID conversations, pre-seeded ID's that get selected are nice, but too complicated for your needs, at least in IMO. PM if you are interested.

• Interesting article, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply