Do db connections in management studio require bandwidth when inactive?

• This question is really sort of a pointless general curiosity my co-worker & I had...

If I simply open a connection to a database in my local copy of sql server management studio & do nothing with it for the rest of the day, just simply leaving the db connection open, is data still being passed back and forth between my machine & the db server that whole time?  Even some small minuscule amount?

Just a random question my co-worker and I were discussing.  He felt there would need to be some small amount of data passed back and forth to keep the connection open to the db.  I disagreed and felt once the connection's open, it doesn't pass data again until you perform an action.  Just curious.

Thanks

• if you haven't done anything with it, then I would agree, it's not eating resources. If you opened it, generated a temp table with 1 million rows, then didn't drop the table and didn't close it, then you're bookmarking the resources in tempdb for that temp table until you disconnect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply