DNS Aliases

• Hi

I posted this yesterday in the administration section but have had no answers yet and wondered if I should have put it in this section but could anyone help?

Thanks

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic526644-146-1.aspx

I need to configure some servers that use Replication, Log Shipping and mirroring and wondered if you could use DNS Aliases with any of them, I've been able to test Linked Servers and they work fine but wondered if there was any definative documentation on if this can be used and if it is supported.

Thanks

• I saw the post yesterday, but I did not have an absolute answer.

Replication, Log Shipping, and Mirroring will all work with server names or IP addresses. So, if you use a server name and then alias that name in DNS, all of these technologies should work just fine.

• I know DNS alias do NOT work for replication. For example try to register a publisher using a DNS alias in ReplicationMonitor and you will get an error like the one in the attachment.

* Noel

• Try by adding entries in your systems host file

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• The host file solution is only at machine level though which would mean you'd still have to change each server in the event a server went down and you needed to redirect to a different server, whereas DNS Aliases can be change and the change would then effect everyone.

But if DNS aliases don't work in replication would changing the hosts file work?

• DNS aliases don't work in replication. Even setting the SPN doesn't seem to work either, as the subscriber always seems to recognise that you're not the originating server, and thus refuses to accept the replication.

The only way I found to get around this was to use remote clustering software (such as GeoCluster) to create the virtual server, which overall has its own issues that make me suspect that not using this for SQL Server would probably be good (unless you have a very high bandwidth dedicated connection between the cluster nodes).

The last time I tried this was Pre-SP1, so things may have changed. Altering the hosts file won't make any difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply