DNS Alias Named instance of SQL Server

• Given that you must supply a unique Virtual SQL Server name with an associated unique IP address during a CLUSTERED SQL Server installation, why couldn't you create a DNS alias for that Virtual SQL Server name to be used by client connections?

• Bert (9/15/2009)

Given that you must supply a unique Virtual SQL Server name with an associated unique IP address during a CLUSTERED SQL Server installation, why couldn't you create a DNS alias for that Virtual SQL Server name to be used by client connections?

Why couldn't you? We do it at my current gig.. But if you are talking about a named instance like ServerName\InstanceName that is not going to work unless you have it listening on the default port of 1433 of the IP address..

Did this answer your question, or did I cause more?

CEWII

• Elliott W (9/15/2009)

Bert (9/15/2009)

Given that you must supply a unique Virtual SQL Server name with an associated unique IP address during a CLUSTERED SQL Server installation, why couldn't you create a DNS alias for that Virtual SQL Server name to be used by client connections?

Why couldn't you? We do it at my current gig.. But if you are talking about a named instance like ServerName\InstanceName that is not going to work unless you have it listening on the default port of 1433 of the IP address..

Did this answer your question, or did I cause more?

CEWII

I and talking about a named instance (ServerName\InstanceName). But you're saying this will work as long as the named instance is listening on port 1433?

• I would expect it to. The trick is getting the instance to listen on that port. Is there any other instance on that server? If so you are going to have to add a second IP address and deal with the multi-homed issues that come with that.

In our environment we have named instances with DNS names but you have to refer to them this way:

DNSName\InstanceName

There are some articles:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239406.aspx

Maybe:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/cb38169f-e034-4c7f-b2fd-54ffad5d32a8

CEWII

• for sure you can define your dns alias like "OurVeryNiceVirtualSQL" but to get to the actual instance (you may have many on your nodes), you'll also have to provide the instances name or it's port number !

So you would end up connecting to things like OurVeryNiceVirtualSQL\AccountingInstance

Or by using its virtual IP address 10.0.0.2\AccountingInstance or so.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Are you saying that you can not have a DNS (OurVeryNiceVirturalSQL) point to a SQL Alias (somehow that is my question) that points to the SQL Instance so that the instance can be accessed by just the OurVeryNiceVirturalSQL?

• lauer_Christopher

I have added a reply to the thread Elliot_W mentioned.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply