Disk space required for a Restore

• I've got a 50 gig database on one server and I want to perform a backup and then restore it over the same database on a different server.  The destination server already contains the 50 gig database, but has only about 20 gig of storage space left.  This backup/restore process will need to happen each night so that the database is ready for use on the destination server in the morning.

Is it possible to restore the 50 gig database on the destination server?  I am unsure how much space SQL requires in order to successfully perform the restore and am worried that the 20 gig left will not be enough?  Currently, the backup file is stored on a network drive that both servers have access to.

• Hi

I would go and buy a USB2 Protable Hard Drive.

Cheers

Si 

• Woops - I've just realised this is in the Yukon section; I'm working with SQL Server 2000.

• You may want to buy SQL LiteSpeed. You will gain not only space, but also time...

• Yes, I had a look at LiteSpeed actually; it looks like it would certainly help!

I'm now experimenting with taking the database offline, copying the files over, and then bringing the database online again.  So far, this is working very well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply