disable Guest accounts

• Hi,
    can someone share scripts to disable Guest account in all the databases at same time.  have the below but I don't want to go thru all 50 databases one by one. Any help is appreciated
    Use Database
    go

REVOKE CONNECT FROM guest

GO

• You want to make sure you aren't running this in master, tempdb or msdb. You will get an error if you try to disable guest in master or tempdb.
    You will have issues if you disable guest in msdb. Refer to the following on some of the issues if disabled in msdb - there are other issues: 
    You should not disable the guest user in the msdb database in SQL Server

If you use sp_MSforeachdb, you should verfiy if it's been disabled in all databases as sp_MSforeachdb can skip databases. 

Sue

• Adding to what Sue_H said, and expanding on what Steve Jones said, I tend to avoid ms_foreachdb (for the reasons that Sue_H posted) and would much rather write my own cursor for it so I can ensure I am running it only where I actually want to (ie non-sytem databases).
    If ms_foreachdb is the route you wish to take, I'd modify your script to also print or select the database it is using so you have a nice list of ones it was applied to.

That being said, even if I wrote my own cursor, I'd still print out something like:
    PRINT 'Guest has been disabled in the database ' + @database

Just so I had some form of logging of where I had disabled it.  I like having logs of what things I have changed if possible.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Instead of writing your own cursor, you could just generate a script of the SQL Statements and avoid a cursor altogether. The statements give you a list of which databases will be affected. If it executes successfully, they were changed. And the script provides a log of what was executed. Something like:

SELECT 'USE ' + name + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)
    + 'GO'
    + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)
    + 'REVOKE CONNECT FROM GUEST;'
    FROM sys.databases
    WHERE NAME not in ('master', 'msdb', 'tempdb')

Sue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply