directory lookup for the file failed with the operating system error 2

• Alternatively:

Just before you click 'OK' to create the database from the New Database screen, click on the Script button at the top.

That will create a script. Copy and paste that here. It should then be obvious where the problem lies.

It doesn't seem smart to me to call a database 'AS'. AS is a reserved word. I see you are using SP2 - perhaps there was a bug in SSMS back then when creating a database called AS...? In any case, you should really be using SP3 - and don't forget to apply it to the client tools too.

Paul

• I'd prefer to see the screenshot, to see exactly what the path has been set to, exactly what the filename has been set to. The script's just going to show the combination, which will probably (hopefully) be the same as the error message. I suspect what's happened is that the file name has been entered in both the path and file name boxes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It has been done...I was giving the path -- e:\as.mdf while I should give the path as e:\ only.

Thanks

• You were right! My fear was that the screenshot wouldn't show the path column (or the important bit):

• Ajay, do you understand directory structures and file paths?

If you look at what Gail posted, you appear to be trying to use a directory called "as.mdf" to hold a file called "as.mdf". Doesn't matter what "as" stands for, the problem is the file path.

If you don't understand directory structures and file paths, then you need to hire someone who does understand technical matters who can help you to create your database.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/16/2009)

Ajay, do you understand directory structures and file paths?

I think he does - it's just not massively clear that the 'path' box requires just a directory path - not a full path and file name. It's a mistake I remember making many years ago too.

• once again error is coming : S: is a san disk

I am running command:

CREATE DATABASE [test2] ON PRIMARY

( NAME = N'test2', FILENAME = N's:\test2.mdf' , SIZE = 2048KB , FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )

LOG ON

( NAME = N'test2_log', FILENAME = N's:\test2_log.ldf' , SIZE = 1024KB , FILEGROWTH = 10%)

GO

Error:

Msg 5133, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Directory lookup for the file "s:\test2.mdf" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

Msg 1802, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

Thanks

• Is there a drive named 'S:'?

Does the SQL Server service account have full access to that drive?

If this is a clustered SQL Server, is that drive a dependency of the SQL service?

If you use the gui to browse for a filename, does the s: drive appear?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Actually the drive Letter had changed by the client from S: to G:,therefore problem was occurring.

Thanks

• Hi, I'm having the same problem when changing the filenames. The original script that contains the database name [DRI] works fine. It fails with the "" message when I only change [DRI] to [DRI_KY193]. The os filenames were also changed in the script. I actually created a new folder on the server named ""S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\" and added sa full access to it in permissions. Both error message and the failing script is shown below.

Thanks, Stanley

The ERROR MESSAGE is:

Msg 5133, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Directory lookup for the file "S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\DRI_KY193.mdf" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

Msg 1802, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

Msg 5011, Level 14, State 5, Line 1

User does not have permission to alter database 'DRI_KY193', the database does not exist, or the database is not in a state that allows access checks.

Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

Msg 911, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

Database 'DRI_KY193' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

THE FAILING SCRIPT IS:

Use [master]

CREATE DATABASE [DRI_KY193] ON PRIMARY ( NAME = N'DRI_KY193', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\DRI_KY193.mdf' , SIZE = 102400KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), FILEGROUP [FG_ImagesPDF] ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesPDF', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesPDF.ndf' , SIZE = 20480KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), FILEGROUP [FG_ImagesSLA] ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesSLA', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesSLA.ndf' , SIZE = 20480KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), FILEGROUP [FG_ImagesTIF] ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesTIF', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesTIF.ndf' , SIZE = 20480KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ) LOG ON ( NAME = N'DRI_KY193_log', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\DRI_KY193_Log.ldf' , SIZE = 10240KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesPDF_Log', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesPDF_Log.ldf' , SIZE = 10240KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesSLA_Log', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesSLA_Log.ldf' , SIZE = 10240KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ), ( NAME = N'FG_ImagesTIF_Log', FILENAME = N'S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\FG_ImagesTIF_Log.ldf' , SIZE = 10240KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 102400KB ) ALTER DATABASE [DRI_KY193]

SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 100

IF (1 = FULLTEXTSERVICEPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled'))

begin

EXEC [DRI_KY193].[dbo].[sp_fulltext_database] @action = 'enable'

end

ALTER DATABASE [DRI_KY193]

SET ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT OFF

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF

SET ARITHABORT OFF

SET AUTO_CLOSE OFF

SET AUTO_CREATE_STATISTICS ON

SET AUTO_SHRINK OFF

SET AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS ON

SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT OFF

SET CURSOR_DEFAULT GLOBAL

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

SET RECURSIVE_TRIGGERS OFF

SET DISABLE_BROKER

SET AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS_ASYNC OFF

SET DATE_CORRELATION_OPTIMIZATION OFF

SET TRUSTWORTHY OFF

SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION OFF

SET PARAMETERIZATION SIMPLE

SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT OFF

SET HONOR_BROKER_PRIORITY OFF

SET READ_WRITE

SET RECOVERY FULL

SET MULTI_USER

SET PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

SET DB_CHAINING OFF

• Further clarification...

If I were to search and replace all occurances of DRI_KY193 with DRI, the script works without errors.

The DRI database is to be created in subfolder "S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_DATA\"

The DRI_KY193 database is to be created in subfolder "S:\SQL\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DRI_KY193_DATA\"

And yes, you can browse to that folder as both of these paths exists...

Thanks, Stanley

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply