Difficulty Installing Full-Text Search

• Hi,

I'd appreciate help with difficulty I'm having installing Full-Text Indexing. 

A little background - SELECT @@VERSION returns:

Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86)

May  3 2005 23:18:38

Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') returns: SP4

After using the SQL Server 2000 installation disk to install Full-Text Search (from the Select Components window in the MS SQL Server Installation window) to the existing installation of SQL Server, The SQL Server Service Manager indicates that Microsoft Search is running.  To make sure, I refreshed the service.

Despite the fact that Microsoft Search appears to be running, the following occurs:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled') returns: 0

EXEC sp_fulltext_database 'enable' returns:

Server: Msg 7609, Level 17, State 2, Procedure sp_fulltext_database, Line 46

Full-Text Search is not installed, or a full-text component cannot be loaded.

In addition, Full-Text Index Table is grayed out in SQL Server Enterprise Manager when attempting to Index a table.

I've tried reinstalling Full-Text Search three times, and I never get an error message indicating anything happenened that wasn't supposed to happen.  Despite this, I continue to get the indications above that Full-Text is not installed.

I would appreciate any assistance that might explain the cause of this problem or how I can get around it.

Thanks in advance for any help.  (FYI, I'm a developer, not an administrator, so please go easy on me).

• Open your services console for the database server. You can also get to through Computer Management. Is the Microsoft Search service running? Also, are there any related events in the Windows application and/or system event logs?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Sorry for the slow response (I was in meetings).  To answer your question, yes, the Microsoft Search service definitely is running. 

I'm afraid I don't know how to answer your second question.  Could you tell me the name of the specific log or logs you're referring to and where they're likely to be located?  Also, what should I be looking for when I review such logs?

Thanks!!!

Chris

• Did you reapply SP4, had similar problems on SQL7 when I installed FTS after SP's applied and had to reapply SP to get FTS to work.

I reapplied SP3a on my SQL2K as a matter of course when I installed FTS post SP and had no problems

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply