Devenv.exe taking FOREVER suddenly! Seems to be tied to 1 specific report...

• I should say that I switch between projects often inside the .sln. 1 is an SSIS project that I run a few times throughout the day, the other is the SSRS project that contains the report that seems to CRAWL while developing.

I've got 3 charts (will be 4), on 2 pages. 5 matrix displays for data, 2 pairs using the same DataSet. Probably 8 datasets in all, half of which just service drop downs, the other half comprise the "meaty" queries, which only bring back several hundred very narrow rows at most.

There are probably 15 reports in the SSRS solution, and ONLY 1 has this issue. If I never open that report, devenv.exe executes like normal.

OS is Windows Server 2003, Standard, SP2. Proc is Core2 6420 @ 2.16GHz and 2G RAM.

Simple things like opening the properties of a chart, or just scrolling down the design page take 10+ seconds now. Devenv.exe keeps taking up more and more space (up to 1G!!)

What am I doing wrong? I'd rather not split the report into pieces since that would mean having to maintain the SQL at each.

Development was moving along swimmingly until this happened yesty pm. Dying here! Must deliver!

What other info can I offer? THANK YOU.

• I should say that while the devenv.exe is "thinking" for long seconds, I see the processor at 25-50%. The crawl sets in while the devenv.exe is still in the (usual) 200-300M range of usurped RAM.

• SQL Server is also running on the box, but only taking milliseconds at a time to fulfill the requests coming in from this report.

That service is currently showing 360M of RAM, but SQL Server is set to allow up to 2147483647M of memory. Has it reserved that space already?

Should I limit the max? With 2G on the machine, what would I set the max memory to? 1G? 500M?

Will I need a restart for that to take effect? It's a dev box, so tha'ts possy.

• I just figured it out...

I needed some custom graphics on the 4 charts in the report. I embedded some images with the report and used them as background images (norepeat) in the chart. That made a 150K .rdl file increase to 6M! Taking the background images out of the charts brought the .rdl size back down to 150K and the devenv.exe isn't bogging anymore.

Now I'm left with trying to figure out how to get those graphics back in another way.

Hope this helps someone else down the road!

• Was using .bmp files that I whipped up in Paint. Massive compared to the .png versions I'm using now. 6M vs 15K made a big difference!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply