Developing SSIS for 2005, Issues with Visual Studio and SQL 2008 Issues?

• Hello all,

I am, and will continue to be, developing SSIS packages and databases for SQL 2005 servers.

My team is upgrading our development machines to VS and SQL 2008.

When I saw that the BIDS studio in VS 2008 requires the SQL upgrade,

I felt some concern.

Has anyone had issues developing and deploying SSIS packages and database objects to 2005 servers after upgrading and using the VS/SQL 2008 suite?

I cannot risk corrupting existing SSIS solutions or losing time working on my 2005 servers.

Any thoughts or experience is very welcome.

thanks everyone!

Skål - jh

• SSIS 2005 requires using VS2005. You cannot use VS2008.

On the happier side, both version of VS can reside on the same machine. Install VS2005 (or leave it installed) and install VS2008 - don't upgrade. The only thing I have not gotten to work is the Team Foundation Browser operating with both environments. I have to use TFS from VS2005 - if I install TFS for VS2008, it stops working in VS2005 and then it became a real issue to remove TFS for VS2008 and get the custom rules working again in the older version.

• Thanks Michael, good to know.

Are you able to use SQL BIDS 2008 (in VS2008) side by side with SQL BIDS 2005 as well?

I'm really concerned about compatibility with my servers.

My VS SSIS projects starting locking up after I installed just VS2008, I didn't get to the SQL/BIDS part yet. But I cannot tell what happened, just whenever trying to edit the connection managers, the IDE froze since I upgraded. Uninstalling did not fix it and I suspect the packages may have gotten corrupted.

I really appreciate the help!

Skål - jh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply