Developer's Edition SQL Server 2008 R2 on an SSD

• I just got my Developer's Edition SQL Server 2008 R2 and installed it on my PC, which runs on Windows 7 and uses an SSD.

So, I'm worried that if I do a lot of backups and restores on that drive, will certain settings need to be in place?

Is TRIM on a deeper layer, so SQL will be using it? 'Don't want to wear out my SSD if I can help it....

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• for ssd's the trim function clears the NAND cells of old data speeding up the read write process by not having "dirty" NAND memory. Windows 7 from what i have heard is decent at keeping the drive trimmed (is that right) so the user should not have to mess with it, if the drive supports it.

to the longevity of the SSD, A LOT of drives these days have onboard logic to spread out the writes to increase longevity. the only thing i can say is to watch your data and when your drive shows signs of wearing out get ready to get a new one and keep good backups.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• capn.hector (3/16/2012)

for ssd's the trim function clears the NAND cells of old data speeding up the read write process by not having "dirty" NAND memory. Windows 7 from what i have heard is decent at keeping the drive trimmed (is that right) so the user should not have to mess with it, if the drive supports it.

to the longevity of the SSD, A LOT of drives these days have onboard logic to spread out the writes to increase longevity. the only thing i can say is to watch your data and when your drive shows signs of wearing out get ready to get a new one and keep good backups.

Thanks for the response, I should probably just add an HDD and put the database there so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I have some HDD's laying around here somewhere, but they may be tough to find since we moved recently.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply