Derived Column Or Data Conversion ummm...

• Scenario:

SQL 2005

SSIS package

Flat file (CSV)

FlatFile --> OLE DB Destination

Problem:

Within the flat file a column number 4 looks like "3.144591"

I have set the DataTpe for this column to Numeric (I have also tried most the other types) but I keep getting this error:

Error: 0xC02020A1 at ImportFiles, Profit [179]: Data conversion failed. The data conversion for column "Column 4" returned status value 2 and status text "The value could not be converted because of a potential loss of data.".

Error: 0xC0209029 at ImportFiles, Profit [179]: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_INDUCEDTRANSFORMFAILUREONERROR. The "output column "Column 4" (247)" failed because error code 0xC0209084 occurred, and the error row disposition on "output column "Column 4" (247)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

Error: 0xC0202092 at ImportFiles, Bargains [179]: An error occurred while processing file "E:\NewFiles\Profit.CSV" on data row 1.

Any ideas?

should I be using Derived Column Or Data Conversion?

Thanks all!

• How do you have the numeric value defined?

• Withing SQL DB the column is defined as VARCHAR(16),Null

Within SSIS the column is defined as:

OutputColumnWidth - 16

DataType - String[DT_STR]

TextQualified - True

• If this is pure numeric data in a CSV file, it should not be surrounded by text qualifiers ("). Try stripping these text qualifiers out from this field.

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I cannot edit the CSV file.

How can I use Derived Column exspress to change the column value from: 24 Nov 2008

to: 24-NOV-08

Need help with the Expression.

thanks

(slowly going mad)

• pri.amin (11/25/2008)

I cannot edit the CSV file.

How can I use Derived Column exspress to change the column value from: 24 Nov 2008

to: 24-NOV-08

Need help with the Expression.

thanks

(slowly going mad)

Take a look at the REPLACE function

REPLACE(haystack, needle, replace value)

• You might go to the Advanced Editor of your flat file source and look at the data types and "Length" of the column in question in the Input and Output Properties. Those are in the Source Output -> Output Columns of the Input and Output tab of the Advanced Editor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply