DELETE based on one-to-many relationship

• I must be having a "senior moment" (no insult intended), because I just can't figure this one out.

Table A (col1, col2,col3....col27)

Table B (col1,col2,col3)

I need to delete all the rows from Table A that have the same column values as Table B.

Example: Row 1 Table B values (123,stuff, 321) there will be many rows in Table A with these same values in Col1-3, but Columns 4-27 will be different. if the row is found in Table B, I need to delete all the rows in Table A that have those same values in Columns 1-3

DELETE FROM TableA WHERE EXISTS(results of TableB)

this deletes the entire table A, not just the rows that have Col1,Col2,Col3 the same.

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

"Do or do not, there is no try" -- Yoda

• You could try something like this:

delete a

from TableA a

where exists ( select 1

from TableB b

where a.col1 = b.col1

and a.col2 = b.col2

and a.col3 = b.col3 )

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• THANK YOU! Worked Like a charm! I couldn't figure out the alias for Table A and how to join it to table B.

Thank you again!

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

• No problem and thanks for posting back.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• one more question, please sir.

if I wanted to build the results of TableB into a table variable to record for audit purposes, i.e. what I am deleting.

I would build the #TempTable with results then just use that in the join instead of the real table?

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

• I would add an OUTPUT clause to your DELETE query. Have a look at the examples here.

• Once again, you hit the ball out of the park!

Thanks!

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply