delete a large amount of rows in a table

• Please help me make this query more efficient because i been waiting for more then 1 hour for query to complete and it did not finish and i got like 25 large tables to delete from:

this is what i wrote it like but it is very slow ..

SELECT * INTO WORKTBL FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL] WHERE End_Time > '20130123015613')

DROP TABLE [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL

SELECT * INTO [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL from WORKTBL

DROP TABLE WORKTBL

Do you know any better method ? much faster then hours and hours of waiting for it to complete ?

• What percentage of the rows are you keeping and how many rows are there in the tables?

At some point its easier just to loop a delete statement depending on how much data you are getting rid of.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• 133.723 rows total and i wanna keep 77.646

i wanna delete the custom amount according to the query u see above but i tried to run a count for the remaining rows it also take a lot to do :S

i am really confused on the best solution for this...

please help me how ever you can

my main problem is i got 10 tables with 133k from what i wanna keep 77k from each so this will take ages unless i find a solution or u guys tell me one

• insanityflyff (2/27/2013)

133.723 rows total and i wanna keep 77.646

i wanna delete the custom amount according to the query u see above but i tried to run a count for the remaining rows it also take a lot to do :S

i am really confused on the best solution for this...

please help me how ever you can

my main problem is i got 10 tables with 133k from what i wanna keep 77k from each so this will take ages unless i find a solution or u guys tell me one

133k rows, is that the size of [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL?

at that size it may just be easier to run a simple delete. Correct me if i am wrong but it looks like your initial query is selecting rows that are in SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL but not in the logging table? So if an m_idplayer exists in the logging table we can delete it from the main table?

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

• DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].CHARACTER_TBL WHERE m_idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

this query should delete all the m_idplayers that dont appear in the LOG_LOGIN_TBL right ?

• it should.

How many rows are in [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL]?

Your sub query could be causing the issue if there are only 133k rows in [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL and its taking hours.

if the sub query is the issue any of the deletes using the sub query will take a while as well.

• by sub query u mean WHERE End_Time > '20130123015613' right ?

this means it will delete all data that is below 2013/23/01/01:56:03

year day month hour minute second format

and that sub query makes the issue? 🙁

• thats what i mean by sub query.

However how many rows are in the logging table and what indexes there are will affect this a lot. Also is End_Time a DateTime column or Varchar? might be having an issue with your date format as well.

• CapnHector (2/27/2013)

thats what i mean by sub query.

However how many rows are in the logging table and what indexes there are will affect this a lot. Also is End_Time a DateTime column or Varchar? might be having an issue with your date format as well.

the End_Time is a char(14) date type

the log_login_tbl has 981.057 rows

• In general, when I have a lot of rows to delete, I do it in a loop with a "wait". The advantages for me are:

Small chunks so I can see it progress.

Does not hog the system completely

Can be stopped & restarted without starting over

It may not be the fastest method, but in my case I needed to run it on a production server with minimal impact on others. Experiment with delay time & delete size

basically i set it up like this:

DeleteMore:

waitfor delay 5 seconds (to give others some cpu)

delete top 10000 from tableA where ......

if @@rowcount > 0 goto DeleteMore

• homebrew01 (2/27/2013)

In general, when I have a lot of rows to delete, I do it in a loop with a "wait". The advantages for me are:

Small chunks so I can see it progress.

Does not hog the system completely

Can be stopped & restarted without starting over

It may not be the fastest method, but in my case I needed to run it on a production server with minimal impact on others. Experiment with delay time & delete size

basically i set it up like this:

DeleteMore:

waitfor delay 5 seconds (to give others some cpu)

delete top 10000 from tableA where ......

if @@rowcount > 0 got DeleteMore

can you write me a good one for this query ?

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF].[dbo].CHARACTER_TBL WHERE m_idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

i gotta wipe from all this tables :

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].BANK_EXT_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].BANK_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].BILING_ITEM_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].CHARACTER_TBL WHERE m_idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].GUILD_MEMBER_TBL WHERE m_idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].INVENTORY_EXT_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].INVENTORY_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].ITEM_SEND_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].PARTY_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].RAINBOWRACE_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].SECRET_ROOM_MEMBER_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].SKILLINFLUENCE_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].TAG_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].TASKBAR_ITEM_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].TASKBAR_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblCampusMember WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblFactionMember WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblHousing WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblHousing_Visit WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblMaster_all WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblMultiServerInfo WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblPocket WHERE idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblPocketExt WHERE idPlayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblMessenger WHERE idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblSkillPoint WHERE PlayerID NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

DELETE FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].tblRestPoint WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

so i would appreciate a formula u are using to make it faster and better for my server not to stay at 100% processor usage

• Since you have multiple tables using the same exclusion data set i would create a work table with that data set and index it, then use a LEFT JOIN tbl b WHERE b IS NULL.

That may be a little faster and would work in a loop as well.

As far as writing the loop for the delete, homebrew01 has all ready provided the way to do it.

• CapnHector (2/27/2013)

Since you have multiple tables using the same exclusion data set i would create a work table with that data set and index it, then use a LEFT JOIN tbl b WHERE b IS NULL.

As far as writing the loop for the delete, homebrew01 has all ready provided the way to do it.

still i dont know sql query so please tell me if this would work :

if @@rowcount > 0

WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:05';

delete top (10000) FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].CHARACTER_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

• insanityflyff (2/27/2013)

CapnHector (2/27/2013)

Since you have multiple tables using the same exclusion data set i would create a work table with that data set and index it, then use a LEFT JOIN tbl b WHERE b IS NULL.

still i dont know sql query so please tell me if this would work :

if @@rowcount > 0

WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:05';

delete top (10000) FROM [CHARACTER_01_DBF_OLD].[dbo].CHARACTER_TBL WHERE m_idplayer NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT(m_idPlayer) COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT FROM [LOGGING_01_DBF].[dbo].[LOG_LOGIN_TBL])

first you dont need the distinct in the NOT IN, its redundant. http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2011/01/18/distincting-an-in-subquery/

Second for something like this you may get better performance using NOT EXISTS. Here is a blog that goes into detail on the Subject http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/02/18/not-exists-vs-not-in/

Second i bolded a section that says danger to me. The query you wrote will only delete the top 10000 records and not loop. Re read homebrew01's post.

• You may also want to read this article: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/67898/.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply