Decrypting symmetric key encrypted data is failing...

• So, I am trying to encrypt some sensitive data. I am using symmetric key encryption by password.

I've created a master key. I've created a symmetric key (tried various algorithms and none work).

I then test with this code and the decrypting of the data does not work. The decrypted value is just garbage data, rather than matching the original unencrypted data.

declare @a varbinary(max)

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY MySymmetricKey

DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'AWickedStrongPass0rd!!!'

set @a = EncryptByKey(Key_GUID('MySymmetricKey'), 'SensitiveData')

select @a -- Show me the encrypted value (so far so good)

select convert(nvarchar(max), DecryptByKey(@a)) -- When data is decrypted it's "garbage data". Example: 㠴㠰㄰〷㈰㌳㜸㠸

Please help!

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Wow... now I feel really DUMB. :angry:

I did figure out my own problem, and thought I would share it since it took me (i hate to admit this) a couple hours to figure this out.

When encrypting / decrypting data... how you cast / convert data during decryption is a key. Example: if you encrypt using the ol' "N" like so.... EncryptByKey(Key_GUID('TestTableKey'), N'Adam Is Dumb'), then you must convert/cast to nvarchar. And likewise if you encrypt your data without the ol' "N" then you must convert/cast to varchar upon decryption. So to fix my example it was a one letter change, see below:

declare @a varbinary(max)

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY MySymmetricKey

DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'AWickedStrongPass0rd!!!'

set @a = EncryptByKey(Key_GUID('MySymmetricKey'), 'SensitiveData')

select @a -- Show me the encrypted value (so far so good)

select convert(varchar(max), DecryptByKey(@a)) -- When data is decrypted it's now correct

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Yikes, that is good to know.. Thanks for the heads up..

CEWII

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply