DDL log

• Hi folks.

We've been trying to implement a DDL log so we can monitor who changes what in our databases as we have some report writers adding/modifying SP's, functions, views.

Initially we tried doing this with a Database trigger. All seemed to work as expected on our test box. When we moved this to our developer box, permission issues started popping up. We carefully checked permissions and couldn't find an evident step we failed to replicate.

The only difference we found was that on our test box SQL runs as LocalSystem whereas on the Developer it was with a domain account. We then tried to test this on another box that had SQL running on LocalSystem and encountered the same errors....

What we're trying to accomplish is the following:

* on each DDL issued we're just trying to log who changed what when.

* this change needs to be recorded in a separate DB, if possible.

The errors we got is that the user (which could be a SQL user or a domain user) didn't have permission to insert in the other DB and no, it wasn't as easy as granting access to the DB and insert into the table......users are in domain groups which is how they are authenticated to the server and granted needed access to the DB's.

We're pretty sure it has to do something on how permissions of users are impersonated in the context of the chain of commands.

We even tried it with the DB trigger calling a SP that did the insert, and where the owner of the SP had access to the other DB and also using brokers, but somewhere along the way we're missing the proper permissions.

So, any ideas on how this can be implemented best? The idea is to be able to register the changes in a centralized place (preferably different DB) without giving users to much access...

Thanks all..

• I was going to do this some time back and was looking at using event notification to write xml to a table and set up a trigger on that table to examine the xml and record the schema changes and script out the object for source control.

It didn't get passed the idea stage for me due to other commitments and priorities but maybe worth investigating?

• The DB trigger is actually using xml, the issue I have though is making this work for "any" user....

• I use service broker to write all DDL to a central repository. It works well but was kind of difficult to get going at first.

• Have you tried creating the trigger with EXECUTE AS clause? You might try to run it as sysadmin or some other login that has access to relevant databases.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• @ben: would you mind sharing the exact steps setting it up, users and access? As explained in my original post, that's what we did successfully on the test machine but haven't been able to replicate on other servers....

@piotr: yes, but with the EXECUTE as you enter the realm of the permissions and how they are chained. Imagine any user was able to use execute as a sysadmin account or other privileged account.

• Richard M. (11/9/2009)

@ben: would you mind sharing the exact steps setting it up, users and access? As explained in my original post, that's what we did successfully on the test machine but haven't been able to replicate on other servers.....

Check your PM

• Richard

for my DDL database trigger, I'm using execute as without an issue;

here's how my trigger starts:

CREATE TRIGGER [ReturnPREventData]

on DATABASE WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

FOR

CREATE_PROCEDURE, DROP_PROCEDURE, ALTER_PROCEDURE

AS

here's a complete exampel for reference:

use SandBox

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[DDLEventLog](

[EventDate] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[UserName] [sysname] NOT NULL,

[objectName] [sysname] NOT NULL,

[CommandText] [varchar](max) NOT NULL,

[EventType] [nvarchar](100) NULL

)

--

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [ReturnPREventData]

on DATABASE WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo'

FOR

CREATE_PROCEDURE, DROP_PROCEDURE, ALTER_PROCEDURE

AS

declare @eventData XML,

@uname nvarchar(50),

@oname nvarchar(100),

@otext varchar(max),

@etype nvarchar(100),

@edate datetime

SET @eventData = eventdata()

SELECT

@edate=GETDATE(),

@uname=@eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/UserName)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@oname=@eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@otext=@eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/TSQLCommand/CommandText)[1]',

'VARCHAR(MAX)'),

@etype=@eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType)[1]', 'nvarchar(100)')

if @uname is not null

begin

insert dbo.DDLEventLog (EventDate, UserName, objectName, CommandText,EventType) values

(@edate,@uname,@oname,@otext,@etype)

end

GO

ENABLE TRIGGER [ReturnPREventData] ON DATABASE

GO

--create a user that has db_owner writes to create a proc

create login test with password='test123'

go

use Sandbox

go

create user utest from login test

go

--add user to db_owner to see what happens

exec sp_addrolemember 'db_ddladmin', 'utest'

go

--impersonate utest user - or open new window and log on as test login

execute as user='utest'

go

--check security context

print user_name()

go

ALTER procedure [dbo].[sp_find]

@findcolumn varchar(50)

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

--print object_name(@@PROCID)

SELECT

TableFound,

ColumnFound

FROM

(

SELECT

1 AS SortOrder,

sysobjects.name AS TableFound,

'' AS ColumnFound

FROM sysobjects

WHERE sysobjects.xtype IN('U' ,'V')

AND sysobjects.name LIKE '%' + @findcolumn + '%'

UNION ALL

SELECT

2 AS SortOrder,

sysobjects.name AS TableFound,

syscolumns.name AS ColumnFound

FROM sysobjects

INNER JOIN syscolumns ON sysobjects.id=syscolumns.id

WHERE sysobjects.xtype IN('U' ,'V')

AND syscolumns.name like '%' + @findcolumn + '%'

) X

ORDER BY

SortOrder,

TableFound,

ColumnFound

END

--change back to myself, who is a super user anyway

go

revert;

--as myself, see what changed.

select * from [DDLEventLog]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

thank you for the example.

i don't think we have tried with 'dbo' as the execute as user, but then again, in your example the table that captures the data is in the same DB as the trigger.... I will do some experimenting anyway.... Thanks!

• @piotr: yes, but with the EXECUTE as you enter the realm of the permissions and how they are chained. Imagine any user was able to use execute as a sysadmin account or other privileged account.

Agreed, I suggested sysadmin login for testing purposes only, as it has access to all databases. You should create different login, for example from a certificate and map it to all databases.

Without EXECUTE AS you are in the realm of chained/unchained permissions anyway. Just out of curiosity, what are you trustworthy and chaining settings in DEV and production servers?

Regards

Piotr

• Piotr.Rodak (11/9/2009)

@piotr: yes, but with the EXECUTE as you enter the realm of the permissions and how they are chained. Imagine any user was able to use execute as a sysadmin account or other privileged account.

Agreed, I suggested sysadmin login for testing purposes only, as it has access to all databases. You should create different login, for example from a certificate and map it to all databases.

Without EXECUTE AS you are in the realm of chained/unchained permissions anyway. Just out of curiosity, what are you trustworthy and chaining settings in DEV and production servers?

Regards

Piotr

Trustworthy and Cross-Database ownership chaining are disabled, but you just gave me something to look at....

• Piotr... I guess with TRUSTWORTHY ON it now works as expected between databases... 🙂

Thanks...

On to getting this work across servers.....

• Great 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply