dbo user with a NULL Login

• Have you ever come across this scenario?

I know you can have logins without users, but users without logins????!

If I create a new database on this particular server the dbo instance in the new database is also NULL.

I've checked MODEL and in this and all system databases dbo has a login of SA so I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong.

Can anyone help?

• Try sp_change_users_login. I think you're just seeing an orphaned user.

Andy

• Thanks.

I've tried that but it doesn't let me reassign the SA account back to the dbo user.

I'm a bit concerned that any further databases created all seem to have this problem.

Unfortunately, as this instance of SQL Server is supporting MS Site Server (our users say Site with a Sean Connery accent) it is a bit of a show stopper.

• How about backing up your model database (just in case), and restoring a copy of the model database from another server which is on the same service pack).

Then create a new database, and see if you have a problem

Steven

• How about sp_changedbowner?

• I would just like to say I have the same problem and would love to know the answer. I feel that someone had deleted DBO and then releised and tried to restore it. If I restore the database from before the date of the deletion (I think anyway of DBO) DBO comes back in that database. DBO is still in master,msdb,and modell. if you look in the sysusers table of the databases that dbo is mapped to sa the suid = 1. If you look in the sysuser table of a database that where dbo is not mapped to sa the suid = 'null'. If you try to type a 1 in it replies that you can't edit this cell. I know this is not an answer but maybe will help someone help us. Regards

• David, you could create an empty mdf that has this issue and email it to me?

Andy

• Trawling through the Microsoft site it turns out that this is a known bug when SQL is configured for Windows NT Authentication.

The work around is, as Andy recommended, to use sp_ChangeDBOwner.

exec sp_ChangeDBOwner 'SA'

Thanks for your help.

• Can you please point me to the site / white paper/ technet reference where you found this to be a known bug in SQL Server please.

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply