DBCC (urgent!!)

• I am running an DTS package to transfer an table from one database to an other. The databases are located on the same server. The table has a size of 4 GB. I dont know why it takes such a long time to be copied. When i check sysprocesses i can see a block on a DBCC command. Can someone explain why there is a DBCC command at all in the background. The waittime for this proces is enorm.

• I could be totally wrong but....

I had a similar problem when i first started looking after our database. I noticed that every now and then a DBCC would start and I knew we didn't have any jobs or maintenance plans set up to do so. I found that as soon as turning the "Auto Shrink" option off, the dbcc went away. We now keep this option off completely and monitor the size of the database and shrink when it becomes necessary. It could be that....??????

• You are better off running without AutoShrink anyway. Problem with Auto Shrink is it seems to always do this when it is most inconvenient.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Totally agree about auto shrink. Better to use the maint plan to do this once a week if it's important.

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply