DBCC MEMORYSTATUS

• I have 64GB Memory on my server

It seems there is a memory issue I feel.

But I'm confused with In use and committed.

Say out of 64GB VM commited is 58GB in Memory.

I'm assunming this the amount allocated to the sql server but not completely used.

Correct me !

Memory Manager KB

VM Reserved 67351740

VM Committed 58976880

Locked Pages Allocated 0

Reserved Memory 1024

Reserved Memory In Use 0

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• :hehe:

Hello i think you didn't gave us enought info about your server specifications ,and ms sql version or confiq

At any way

hen you start SQL Server, SQL Server memory usage may continue to steadily increase and not decrease, even when activity on the server is low. Additionally, the Task Manager and Performance Monitor may show that the physical memory available on the computer is steadily decreasing until the available memory is between 4 to 10 MB.

This behavior alone does not indicate a memory leak. This behavior is normal and is an intended behavior of the SQL Server buffer pool.

By default, SQL Server dynamically grows and shrinks the size of its buffer pool (cache) depending on the physical memory load reported by the operating system. As long as enough memory is available to prevent paging (between 4 - 10 MB), the SQL Server buffer pool will continue to grow. As other processes on the same computer as SQL Server allocate memory, the SQL Server buffer manager will release memory as needed. SQL Server can free and acquire several megabytes of memory each second, allowing it to quickly adjust to memory

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363

Assuming Windows and SQL Server...

There are two schools of thought.

Leave 2-4 Gigs for Windows (depending on what is installed besides SQL Server).

Leave 10% of your available memory free. As you get over 64 Gigs this gets to be a crazy large amount of money to leave for the OS, which it probably won't need.

Personally I'm in the first group. Windows usually just needs 2-4 gigs, sometimes up to 6.

links

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply