DBCC Checkdb on instance startup

• I'm moving this question over from ask.sqlservercentral.com. I've added a trace and errolog file.

I've started in a new job and am the first DBA here. Previously the network team was doing the Accicental DBA thing. I've inherited several Sql 2005 instances where DBCC CHECKDB is running on startup. Some on my prod instances are taking 30+ minutes to fully recovery on startup. None of the network guys can explain the source.

I've verified no stored procs or sql job set to run on startup. Nothing different in the startup paramenters in Configuraiton manager. BOL doesn't hint that this is natural or configurable option.

It happens consistently on a development instance so I tried tracing for the source. I did a restart through SSMS and immediately started a trace. The errorlog shows the CHECKDB but the trace doesn't show anything. The CHECKDB's are all very fast on this instance but other instances take several minutes.

I've attached the trc file (txt extention for upload purposes) and errorlog, I'd appreciate anyone taking a second look or offering a suggestion.

David

• Edited: Removed inquiry, and stepping aside. I didn't read the logs.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• CheckDB is not running on startup.

Those messages are not saying that checkDB has completed. Check the dates in the messages. They are saying when CheckDB last ran successfully (without error)

2010-10-04 10:29:35.860spid23sCHECKDB for database 'ReportServer' finished without errors on 2010-09-29 09:17:23.710 (local time).

So that message, logged on the 4th October, states that the last time CheckDB ran without error was on the 29th September.

In SQL 2005 and above, a successful run of CheckDB is logged into the database header page and, whenever the database is opened (like at startup) an informational message is printed in the log saying when the last successful run was.

As an aside, why is CheckDB running at 9am on a Wednesday morning?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Feel free to mock and ridicule. I'm guessing this one might wind up on the never ending "Are the questions getting dumber" thread. 😀

I was looking at the output in grid format and didn't see the far side of the message. Obviously that year in management killed WAY MORE brain cells than I thought.

Once I get my head all the way of out a certain body opening, I'll go back and look at my other logs.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

David

• David O (10/4/2010)

Feel free to mock and ridicule. I'm guessing this one might wind up on the never ending "Are the questions getting dumber" thread. 😀

Nah. That's for really dumb questions, ones like

I have a query running slowly. How do I make it run faster?

p.s. It's 'are the posted questions getting worse' not 'are the posted questions getting dumber' The old 'there's no such thing as a dumb question'

Yours was well asked, easy to understand, lots of info, easy to answer. I'll take a question like this any day. You'll be amazed how many people don't look at the dates and ask this. I had one guy who posted a question about this with a 3 paragraph rant about how stupid Microsoft was to have made checkDB run on startup, etc, etc. I can only imagine how he felt when he found out what was really happening.

Now, if you want to ask about why some of your DBs are recovering slowly, that could be a fun (and maybe valuable) discussion.

p.s. Could you post the resolution over at the ask site? I don't post there at all.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply