Database replication

• Hi  ,

Please do suggest me a best solution for my prob.

'**********************************************************

1. We developed an application for a Finance Company which has over 11 branches in various parts of same City.

2. we deployed Vb application in all the branches with SQL server as database.

Application is running fine and Customers are comfortable with the product.

3. Now ...The management wants  data from all the branches Updated in Central Office (i.e Centralised Server).

So that ..They can View the data of each branch sitting in central office.

4. We proposed a solution  that .....  Each branch will Send the database file to Central office through internet

and central office will have a Sql server with Each Branch as Individual database and the dataabse files from each branch are Updated in their respective branch databases at central office.

Central office  will have  leased line  Internet connection with Static IP.

Branch will connect to Cental office through Modem or cable line ( Speed is less)

5. Our Strategy was .........  

a.  Create each Branch database at central office

b. restore FULL database backup in CO for each branch

c. take Differential backup at each branch and Uplaod to central office

4. restore differential back at central office in respective dataabses.

Problem :   With Differential database backup ........The size of file is growing  and couldn't upload that big size to central office

from branch with Modem connection ( Speed is very less in Bytes)

So ...what we thought is to Upload only  current days Transactions ...

I think this we can do with transaction Log backups ........... 

'***********************************************************************************************************************************************

can u please help me in suggesting best solution and more info  on Transaction Log backup..

regards

VENU

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Basically, your requirement is for Replication, so you should look at SQLServer's Replication features in detail. Sometimes log shipping (that is, copying transaction log backups) is used to achieve similar results. This article explains the difference:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/pibison/logshippingvsreplication.asp

Other points to consider:

- You are creating databases that shadow the branch databases, so you can replicate from the branch to the central location; then you must update from the shadow database to the real central database, which is an extra step that could be avoided with real replication

- on the other hand, sometimes an intermediate step allows greater control, such as a place to validate or resolve conflicts before data hits the main database.

- if your application could datestamp all data updates then a fully custom process to regularly extract new data is another option; its more work but sometimes is more flexible, eg the central database might aggregate the imports rather than holding the full detail.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply