Database Properties dialog will not display

• I'm getting the following message when I try to look at the database properties of an new database populated from a backup file created in SQL7. Messages indicated that the data was convert during the reload and I ran sp_updatestats afterwards. The database originally was SQL6.0, upgraded to SQL6.5 and the to SQL7. Each step was done by loading a fresh database backup (full). The SQL7 load occured approx 4 years ago.

Cannot show requested dialog (SQLmgmt)

Database properties cannot be set or viewed for database in 6.0 or 6.5 compatability mode.

It appears that the data loaded ok as I ran several querys against different tables.

How do I fix this problem or change the compatability mode???? 

• Try this...

A. Changing the compatibility level to SQL Server 7.0

The following example changes the compatibility level of the AdventureWorks database to 70.

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel AdventureWorks, 70

GO

60 = SQL Server 6.0

65 = SQL Server 6.5

70 = SQL Server 7.0

80 = SQL Server 2000

90 = SQL Server 2005

Thanks...Michelle

• Thanks Michelle ...your recommedation was right on the money. 

• Hello ,

I am getting the same problem in SQLserver2005 and this is a new database/Installation. I have three instances and all other instances are working fine,but one of the instnace depicting this error when I click on a database and click on properties. Any idea.

Thanks much

• I followed michelle advice and everything worked fine for me.

You said that this is a new database? I'm assuming you created the database on SQLserver2005 but if you populated the database from a backup themn the compatibility level would get changed to the original version.

I can only suggest that you check the compatibility level again. Keep in mind that the management studios backward looking ability is only 1 version so if the database is a 7.0 version your out of luck.

I have no other ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply