Database Mail does not work

• I have configured Database Mail in SSMS with a public mail profile that includes an account and could send a test email under my network ident (which has sysadmin role). I also made the public mail profile the default mail profile.

However I have problem sending email from a non-sysadmin user. I created a MSDB sql login db user and granted it the DatabaseMailUserRole. I then connected to the sql server through SSMS under this login, and tried to send a test email through Management --> Database Mail --> Send Test E-Mail. The drop-down list from the Database Mail Profile field is empty (so I cannot choose a profile), and when I put in an email address in the To filed the Send Test E-Mail button is then greyed out.

In this case I had a public mail profile so think that any MSDB user who is also a member of the DatabaseMailUserRole should be able to send an email. But my MSDB user login cannot.

I did follow MS's article on troubleshooting Database Mail and could not see a problem wit the way I set things up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187540%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Just wonder if someone could give me an idea on what to try next, Many thanks.

Long

• Actually the send mail seems to work. While I cannot send a test email under the MSDB login, I could successfully send an mail using the sp_send_dbmail stored procedure.

In this case the Send test e-mail interface in SSMS does not show a profile to pick from, and according to MS article this indicates that the current user does not have access to a profile, but in fact it has. So it seems to be a bug here.

Kind regards

Long

• try to add user to profile as below

EXEC msdb.dbo.sysmail_add_principalprofile_sp

@profile_name = 'Profile_Name'

, @principal_name = 'Login_Name'

, @is_default = 1;

Praveen D'sa
    MCITP - Database Administrator 2008
    http://sqlerrors.wordpress.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply