Database in Recovery Pending State

• GilaMonster - Monday, June 8, 2009 5:43 AM

Recovery pending means that for some reason SQL cannot run restart recovery on the database. Usually this is because the log is missing or corrupt.

"G:\Data\MSSQL\Database.mdf"."G:\Data\MSSQL\Data\Database_log.ldf"

Do these files exist? Is the drive online and available? If so, try stopping and restarting the SQL service as it may be that SQL came up before the drive was available. That would have caused this error.

Can you please tell me the steps to check if we have a database in recovery pending state.
    it happened with a live environment now and everything stopped :(.

• Please post new questions in a new thread, and give as much detail as possible.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • nadersam - Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:31 AM

GilaMonster - Monday, June 8, 2009 5:43 AM

Recovery pending means that for some reason SQL cannot run restart recovery on the database. Usually this is because the log is missing or corrupt.

"G:\Data\MSSQL\Database.mdf"."G:\Data\MSSQL\Data\Database_log.ldf"

Do these files exist? Is the drive online and available? If so, try stopping and restarting the SQL service as it may be that SQL came up before the drive was available. That would have caused this error.

Can you please tell me the steps to check if we have a database in recovery pending state.
    it happened with a live environment now and everything stopped :(.

Might be worth asking as a new question, but...

What do your SQL Server error logs say?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Problem- Database showing "Recovery pending"
    Restarting sqlserver service is not working for me.

• Please post your question in a new thread and include relevant errorlog entries and error messages.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• GilaMonster - Monday, June 8, 2009 5:45 AM

Krishna Potlakayala (6/8/2009)

Yes, the server is recovering the database. Was there any sudden shut down of the SQL Server? Just wait till it comes back online again.

That's true of the state RECOVERING. Recovery Pending means that recovery cannot be started. Until the cause is fixed, recovery cannot run and the DB cannot come online.

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:22 AM

Please post your question in a new thread and include relevant errorlog entries and error messages.

Thanks, Sql service restart is working for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply