Database in recovery mode not comming online

• I checked database is IN Recovery.
    Error log
    Long Sync IO: Scheduler 11 had 1 Sync IOs in nonpreemptive mode longer than 1000 ms
    Database recovery progress 42 % - after that the above messages recorded in error log

Server - All drive have free space also LDF file is not too large 2 GB only..

Please suggest, how over come this issues

• SQL Galaxy - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:25 AM

I checked database is IN Recovery.
    Error log
    Long Sync IO: Scheduler 11 had 1 Sync IOs in nonpreemptive mode longer than 1000 ms
    Database recovery progress 42 % - after that the above messages recorded in error log

Server - All drive have free space also LDF file is not too large 2 GB only..

Please suggest, how over come this issues

The error indicates an IO problem. This article explains the error and has a couple of links towards the end - check the first one about stalled IO issues:
    How It Works: Sync IOs in nonpreemptive mode longer than 1000 ms

Sue

• Definitely check IO, as Sue suggested. The system is having trouble reading drives. I'd also run DBCC CHECKDB ASAP on this database. There might be other issues. If you have restored this recently elsewhere, run it there. Verify your backups are good here.

• thanks Steve and Sue for your reply..
    Database is online after recovery process completed. database size MDF size 25GB and LDF size 2GB SIMPLE Recovery mode options..
    Transaction log is not huge size even database mode changed to IN Recovery state after rebooting server.
    I found some IO related messages in SQL Error log

• last target outstanding: 5120, avgWriteLatency37

• average writes per second: 180.87 writes/sec

•  averagethroughput:   1.52 MB/sec, I/Osaturation: 19311, context switches 34972

• FlushCache: cleaned up 28785 bufs with 26642writes in 147297 ms (avoided 255 new dirty bufs) for db 12:0

How to fix those errors in SQL 2016 version and server model VMware virtual box, all Data files, tempdb files, TLOG files are placed in same drive only.

As you suggested, executed DBCC CHECKDB Command, results as below

CHECKDBfound 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'COREHMS'.

DBCCexecution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your systemadministrator.

I think again database to changed In-Recovery state if server restarted again. yet to be update latest SQL 2016 service pack, Now RTM.

Thanks

• SQL Galaxy - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:59 PM

thanks Steve and Sue for your reply..
    Database is online after recovery process completed. database size MDF size 25GB and LDF size 2GB SIMPLE Recovery mode options..
    Transaction log is not huge size even database mode changed to IN Recovery state after rebooting server.
    I found some IO related messages in SQL Error log

• last target outstanding: 5120, avgWriteLatency37

• average writes per second: 180.87 writes/sec

•  averagethroughput:   1.52 MB/sec, I/Osaturation: 19311, context switches 34972

• FlushCache: cleaned up 28785 bufs with 26642writes in 147297 ms (avoided 255 new dirty bufs) for db 12:0

How to fix those errors in SQL 2016 version and server model VMware virtual box, all Data files, tempdb files, TLOG files are placed in same drive only.

As you suggested, executed DBCC CHECKDB Command, results as below

CHECKDBfound 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'COREHMS'.

DBCCexecution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your systemadministrator.

I think again database to changed In-Recovery state if server restarted again. yet to be update latest SQL 2016 service pack, Now RTM.

Thanks

You might still want to look at the disks even if you apply the latest service pack. Here are some suggested DMVs and perf mon counters to watch:
    Troubleshooting Slow Disk I/O in SQL Server

This article is old but has some good examples which still apply when the hardware, drivers can be the source of the issue - the first couple examples:
    Detecting and Resolving Stalled and Stuck I/O Issues

And don't forget to check the Windows event logs for any I/O related messages.

Sue

• If this is a production database you may want to re consider changing your recovery model to Full and create a DR plan

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• yeah.. I agreed your points for what are the possible case database state to change the IN-Recovery mode

1. As per application workload TLOG file LDF huge size increase upto 80GB, and configured TLOG backup every 30 min as per business RPO/RTO., currently 50MB data growth set that auto grow size. does it reasonable setting for LDF file growth? Is there best practices method for how to set correct auto growth size setting?

2.  Frequently buffer cache/ DISK IO related messages logged in error log file. what could be solution to resolve this issues. server is VMware virtual box, virtual disk and virtual memory. Max memory set to the 70 % out of total 64GB

last target outstanding: 5302, avgWriteLatency 55
    FlushCache: cleaned up 9333 bufs with 5602 writes in 98523 ms (avoided 1347 new dirty bufs) for db 9:0

average writes per second:  95.69 writes/sec
                average throughput:   1.19 MB/sec, I/O saturation: 6004, context switches 12698

average writes per second:  62.82 writes/sec
                average throughput:   0.78 MB/sec, I/O saturation: 3751, context switches 5577

3. Ran DBCC CHECK DB command and not found any consistency errors.. CHECKDBfound 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'COREHMS'

• SQL Galaxy - Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:51 AM

yeah.. I agreed your points for what are the possible case database state to change the IN-Recovery mode

1. As per application workload TLOG file LDF huge size increase upto 80GB, and configured TLOG backup every 30 min as per business RPO/RTO., currently 50MB data growth set that auto grow size. does it reasonable setting for LDF file growth? Is there best practices method for how to set correct auto growth size setting?

2.  Frequently buffer cache/ DISK IO related messages logged in error log file. what could be solution to resolve this issues. server is VMware virtual box, virtual disk and virtual memory. Max memory set to the 70 % out of total 64GB

last target outstanding: 5302, avgWriteLatency 55
    FlushCache: cleaned up 9333 bufs with 5602 writes in 98523 ms (avoided 1347 new dirty bufs) for db 9:0

average writes per second:  95.69 writes/sec
                average throughput:   1.19 MB/sec, I/O saturation: 6004, context switches 12698

average writes per second:  62.82 writes/sec
                average throughput:   0.78 MB/sec, I/O saturation: 3751, context switches 5577

3. Ran DBCC CHECK DB command and not found any consistency errors.. CHECKDBfound 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'COREHMS'

It's just another indicator of IO issues...usually. Those are typically logged when the checkpoint has exceeded the recovery interval that you configured (sp_configure).
    You really would want to check the IO subsystem with the messages you have been getting.

Sue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply