Database Engine Tuning Advisor Permissions

• Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding Database Engine Tuning Advisor Permissions. Here in our shop, developers want to use DTA on DEV Environment to use better indexing mechanism. The dev database is residing on consolidation Environment, So My boss doesnot want to give DB_OWNER permissions to Developers to run DTA. I want to know, is there a way to customize the permissions that develoers can use DTA without giving full db_owner permissions. I saw in 'Books Online' that member of db_owner fixed role can run DTA. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

AKP

• Hi,

The minimum role required is db_owner. The DTA checks is the user is member of db_owner role before it creates session.

• I have been a DBA for 10 years now and I never use the DTA. In my opinion, if a person cannot determine whether an index is needed, and what columns are needed in any index without the DTA, they should not be creating indexes.

G. Milner

• Greg Milner (9/6/2010)

I have been a DBA for 10 years now and I never use the DTA. In my opinion, if a person cannot determine whether an index is needed, and what columns are needed in any index without the DTA, they should not be creating indexes.

So all the Indexes that you created in this 10 years were manual ? You go look in each database understand what queries will be run and plan for indexes ?

[font="Verdana"]
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday:-)
    [/font]

• Greg Milner (9/6/2010)

I have been a DBA for 10 years now and I never use the DTA. In my opinion, if a person cannot determine whether an index is needed, and what columns are needed in any index without the DTA, they should not be creating indexes.

I do a combo approach. I try manual indexes and use DTA as well. Some queries are quite complicated and I don't fully understand the INCLUDE columns and when that is a benefit or not.

A lot of times I will run a SQL Profiler session and grab, say, 500 SQL statements and then run them through DTA. Sorry, but I don't have the time to analyze 500+ SQL Statements and see if an index would help them all. So far I have not found that DTA suggests and index that isn't used.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply